Trying a Plant Experiment


They were having a sale on pansies at my local Lowes store last week.  They were half off!  Since I hadn't planted anything in my barn window boxes, I thought I would give them a try.  The barn window boxes are kind of a pain because there is no water at the barn and I either have to drive my car down a dirt road or walk down a steep hill carrying old soda jugs filled with water.  (Most of the time the car choice wins.)  The reason I go to all of this trouble is because the barn is on a busy road and people see it so, I want it to look pretty.  I usually wait until later in the season to get into that whole routine but, I thought the price of the pansies was so good, I would give it a try. 

My thinking was that I would be diligent about fertilizing the flowers and hope that they would end up performing well, even with the bad start.  Let's see what happens with these bargain pansies!
 



This really is a sad display, I know.  It's a rustic barn anyway but I'm not sure these pansies will do well enough for me to leave them in.  We'll see.





This is a few days after I watered them with Schultz Expert Bloom Plus Fertilizer.  They were starting to perk up a little bit.




As a comparison, these are pansies I purchased a few weeks ago from my local farm stand.  They started off with big beautiful blooms.  I'm pretty sure the Lowes pansies won't ever look this nice but, I am giving it a shot anyway. I'm hoping the fertilizer will work wonders. I'll let you know what happens.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment