Looking Forward to Summer with Some Easy Vegetable Recipes


Hi all!  I am starting to get the gardening done around my house slowly but surely and as I planted the vegetable garden in my raised bed yesterday, I started to think of recipes for the upcoming season.  Here are some recipes that I have shared in the past.  I am hoping this year's garden will give me some new inspiration, as well.



A few years ago, I played around with some vegetable recipes.  This is an old post with a couple of new edits.  I hope you enjoy!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I really wanted to use my own homegrown basil somehow, just to say I did.  I find it intriguing to use herbs from the garden in recipes but, I do not have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to knowing what herb works well in which recipe.  However, one hot night not long ago an opportunity arose.  I knew my husband loved the mozzarella cheese, tomato, basil combination so, I decided to create a salad from a variation of an appetizer recipe I had recently discovered.

Here are the ingredients:

Basil from my garden!



Tomatoes from the grocery store but, locally grown I believe.

 


Olivia's Organics Spring Mix


Dragone Mozzarella Cheese
 


Now for the construction.

First, I placed a handful of spring mix on each plate ↑.  There were only two of us so, only two plates!
(I had a ton of salad mix leftover so, hopefully you have more people to feed than I did.)


 Next, I placed two slices of mozzarella cheese on top of the lettuce.  The slices were a little thicker than a 1/4".




Oh, I guess I forgot to take a picture of the tomato step.  However, you can see I placed a whole slice of the tomato on top of the mozzarella.  On top of that I added three basil leaves.
For the finished product, I drizzled a balsamic vinegar glaze over the whole salad.  This is Monari Federzoni Glaze which I purchased from Shaw's Market.  It is delicious!
 
As a matter of fact, the whole salad was yummy.  It was the perfect fresh side dish for our dinner.  The rest of the dinner was meat and potatoes, if I must give full disclosure :).
 
 
Tomato Mozzarella Basil Dinner Salad
 
5 oz. Spring Salad Mix
 
16 oz. Mozzarella Cheese
 
2 Medium Tomatoes
 
12 Basil Leaves
 
Balsamic Vinegar Glaze
 
Follow the above instructions.
 
 
These ingredients should easily serve 4 people.
_______________________________________________________

Here are a couple of photos of another idea you can try with vegetables from your garden or otherwise:

This is a very easy recipe and is great for a serving idea of an individual healthy appetizer.


The Ingredients Used:

Cherry tomatoes skewered with a wooden pick
Sliced celery
Sliced red and orange peppers
Cucumbers sliced and cut into flower shapes
Basil leaves
Ranch Dressing


Coat the bottom of a small plastic beverage cup with ranch dressing. Next, place all the ingredients into the cup.  I liken the placement to that of a small flower arrangement.  If you think of it that way, the end result will be very pleasing to the eye.  The vegetables themselves will supply the yumminess! 

Well, there you go--some easy and healthy recipe ideas to start you off into the summer season!




***Please note:  No compensation was given for writing this post.
 
 


Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment