Christmastime in New York City

As I mentioned in my last post, I had the opportunity and pleasure of visiting New York City last week courtesy of my husband needing to go there on business.  By coincidence, my son also had business in the city.  So, lucky for me, he and his wife took the kids out of school for a few days and we all made a mini vacation out of it, traveling caravan style!

The traffic was horrendous since we were traveling down on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  Bad timing on our part but, it couldn't be helped.  The husbands needed to be in New York City early Monday morning. All of the frustration was worth it after we checked into our lovely hotel and decided to take in some of the city sights.  Our hotel was on 53rd Street East and it was only a short walk to this...Saks Fifth Avenue!


Unbeknownst to us, (we are such novices!) Saks offers an almost continual Christmas Light Show on the front side of their building.  It was truly beautiful and reminded me of one we had seen at MGM Studios at Walt Disney World in Florida.
Since we were there with family, I even got a picture of my husband, Tom, and myself.  That is rare.  We aren't picture people really but, it was nice to have evidence of being in New York City :).
 After gazing at the outside of the building for a while, we went inside and took in the scenery there.  I'm not sure you can see just how beautiful this was from the photos but, you'll have to take my word for it.  Gorgeous!!!

From Saks we walked over to Rockefeller Plaza and strolled by St. Patrick's Cathedral.  A few of us went inside.  It was just lovely!

Next, it was back to the hotel.  We had had a very long travel day and my grandchildren needed to go to bed.  (I might have too.)  When we returned, we found our pillows fluffed with chocolates laying on them.  We were so pampered!


No rest for the weary though.  We were up early the next morning.  With our husbands off to their prospective jobs, we ladies and children navigated the New York subway system and headed for the ferry that would take us to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.  I had never been and was sooo excited to go!

This was our view of Lady Liberty from the ferry.  The sight is emotionally charging, I have to say.

Once at the Statue, we toured around the island.  Unfortunately, we couldn't go up to the Platform or the Crown that day. You must purchase tickets well in advance for that opportunity.


Next, it was back on the ferry to take the short ride over to Ellis Island.
My granddaughter, Stella, has been studying Ellis Island in school and was thrilled to be able to take the tour, as were all of us.  The whole day was one I will not forget.  It was great being with family and seeing such iconic and historical U.S. sites.  Very inspiring!  Plus, the Statue of Liberty was on my bucket list.  Check that one off!

That evening we were going to go to Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes.  I had seen them years ago in Boston and loved the show.  I really wanted to see the show again in New York and, luckily, Tom, who doesn't usually go for this sort of thing, was a willing participant.  Even my son, Sam, and his family decided they would join us, as well.  I couldn't have been happier!
So, we got gussied up and headed a few blocks from our hotel and entered that grand hall.  Just look at the chandelier!
We were all given Santa hats and even managed to take a "selfie".  We were really becoming tourists now!  

The show was all I had hoped for and more.  We ended the night at a diner where the waiters and waitresses, who are aspiring singers and actors, serenade their customers as they serve them.  There really is no place like New York City!

The next day...my last day in the city...it was pouring rain and not very pleasant at all. The men had gone to work again, even earlier than the day before.  Jessica, my daughter-in-law, suggested we take a cab to Macy's and see the Christmas decorations.  So, that is what we did!

This photo doesn't do it justice.  The decorations on the first floor were breath-taking!  We spent several hours shopping the seven or nine floors.  I actually lost track.  We went to the top floor where Macy's sold its Christmas decorations and each of us chose a Christmas ornament for our tree.  It took us a long time to decide which ones were our favorites.  There were so many to choose from!

I bought this one.  It seemed fitting.

Finally, it was time to go back to the hotel and pack up.  Tom was staying in the city and I was travelling back to Massachusetts with Sam and his family.  I packed my Santa hat from "the Rockettes" and the New York City map into my suitcase and off I went to join the crew at their hotel.  Our drive home was even worse than the ride into the city I guess because of the rain.  It could be the traffic is always that bad.  I don't know but, New York City was so much fun, especially with my family, that I would go back in a heartbeat!

***************************************************
When I got home it was time to finish decorating my home for the holiday season.  As I said...no rest for the weary. 

Here's a little preview.  Stayed tuned the rest!



Joining these Link Parties:
Silver Pennies Sundays
Sundays at Home
Dishing It and Digging It
The Scoop
Inspiration Monday

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh I am so jealous! I have always wanted to see New York during Christmas time for the holiday light show. I love the christmas tree chandy you showed us. I am already pondering if I could copycat that somewhere in my home. That is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had such a fun trip! I really want to visit New York City again. I had so much fun on my last trip there! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Dishing It & Digging It.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely is a great city, especially at Christmas :).

    ReplyDelete