White Pumpkin Arrangement



I have always loved floral arrangements created in fresh pumpkins. Since white pumpkins are so in, I thought I would play around with an arrangement in white pumpkins this time around.  I was getting tired of the same old fall colors so, I figured I would branch out with a different approach.  To my delight, the local farm stand was having a sale on pumpkins.  The sale included white pumpkins, as well.  I was thrilled!



My next stop was the grocery store to shop for fresh flowers.  There is another farm stand in my area where I often go for fresh flowers, however, it is closed on Tuesdays.  For some reason, I always seem to be inspired on Tuesdays!  Since I did not want to drive all over the place looking elsewhere for flowers, the grocery store selection was going to have to do.  With what was available, I chose white and a purply pink as my color theme.

Here are the steps I took to use a pumpkin as the container for my floral design.  These steps could be used for gourds and other winter root vegetables, as well.


 The first thing you need to do is find an appropriately sized container to hold the oasis and water for your arrangement.  Trace around the circumference of the container with a pen or pencil.


 Next, cut the lid off the pumpkin, just as you would if you were carving it for Halloween.  I left the seeds in.  I'm not sure if I should have or not.  I wasn't sure if the pumpkin would last longer with the seeds removed or left in.  I have a feeling the flowers will stay fresher longer than the pumpkin anyway.  Once pumpkins are cut they usually rot fairly quickly. 




 As you can see, this plastic bowl fits very well in the hole.



 Next, add your water soaked oasis.  Adding some height to the oasis gives you more surface area to place the flowers.

 I started with the base and added some "filler flowers" to cover up the lip of the plastic container.

 Unfortunately, I got carried away with my arranging and forgot to take anymore photos of my creation until I was done.  I'm sorry about that.  The flowers I used were white and purply pink mums, white alstroemeria, goldenrod, dusty miller and lavender.  The dusty miller and lavender were from my garden.  I was shocked I could still find some materials there.
 I couldn't figure out if I wanted to incorporate the "lid" of the pumpkin in the arrangement or not.



In the end, I think I liked the lid attached to the floral arrangement and...


not laying next to it. 


What do you think?


+ + + + + + 

This is something you could do for your Thanksgiving table, as well, it you wanted something a little different as a centerpiece.  You might have to use a Hubbard squash or something similar if your supply of pumpkins becomes depleted after Halloween like mine usually does.

Sharing at these Link Parties:

2 comments:

  1. I do like the lid attached! How did you attach it? And I love this whole idea. So pretty.
    :) gwingal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nikki. I use those wooden skewers you use for barbecuing. You can jab the lid of the pumpkin with one end and place the other end of the skewer into the oasis of the arrangement. It’s a fun project!

    ReplyDelete