A Christmas Time Visit to the Wentworth-by-the-Sea

Hi, Everyone!  Are you enjoying the holiday season?  I am but, I have to admit it is going much too fast for my liking.  As fast as it is going, I still love this time of year.

Part of the fun of the month of December is that it is the season of parties and gatherings; the kind of every sort.  My husband and I were lucky enough last weekend to participate in one of those festive gatherings.  It was my husband's company holiday party.  Before you say, "Oh :/ ", you need to understand that this company party was held in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and part of the whole holiday party experience this year was an overnight stay at the renowned, Wentworth By The Sea Hotel.




Since I love old inns and love Christmas decorations, I was very exciting to spend the night at the Wentworth and experience all that it had to offer.  As we entered the entrance of the hotel I realized it was not overly grand like other old inns where I had stayed but, it was decorated nicely with fresh greens and Christmas decorations

The bellman and other staff were very nice and the inn gave off a warm feeling.

Some of the Wentworth's holiday decorations looked a little bit like my own decorations at home.  You can check here to see what I mean.  In fact, after looking at this entry planter I decided I had to add Christmas lights to my front planters at home, as well.  I had been toying around with the idea for about a week or so but, after seeing these I was determined to add some glitz to my "natural" front planters, after all.

I loved these extra large pinecones that decorated the roping of greens on the covered entrance to the inn.  I believe these pinecones are from California.  I'm pretty sure you don't find them in New England.  Maybe that is why I like them so much.  They are unique and different from what I find here.


In the lobby of the inn was this cute wooden sleigh.  I always love to see what other floral designers do with their designs, especially at Christmas.  I am constantly amazed at the creativity each of them brings to their work.  It's always great to pick up some new ideas.  I liked how fresh poinsettias were mixed in here.


The hotel even had an upside down Christmas tree.  They seem to be in vogue again this year.  I remember upside down trees being a big deal maybe a decade ago, at least in my neck of the woods, anyway.  I guess they are back!  It's funny.  I am somewhat lukewarm on the idea of an upside down Christmas tree.  I can take them or leave them depending on how they are decorated but, one hotel guest walked by and said, "I don't think I like that."  I guess everyone has their own opinion of
something new and different :).



I, especially liked these lighted birch trees.  The hotel restaurant was largely decorated with them.  I wish I had taken photos of the restaurant to show you how beautiful it was.  In order to do that, however, I would have had to invade the patrons' privacy and who wants to do that?!

Back in the main lobby there was a decorated Christmas tree with a mailbox for letters to Santa.  Always a nice touch for the little ones.


Tom and I took a stroll around the grounds the next morning to walk off our delicious breakfast.  I had the best chocolate chip pancakes ever!! The hotel sits up high on a hill and overlooks a bay of water.  In the summer it must be absolutely gorgeous with all the boats and water activities going on.  We had a pretty view of the water from our room; very nice.

  This cute covered bridge kind of structure overlooks the tennis courts.  Isn't it adorable?  It is quintessential New Hampshire.

Since there was an impending snowstorm coming, we decided to check out at the regular time. We were not able to take advantage of the very inviting swimming pool which was a shame. Tom ended up taking this parting photo to chronicle our visit and off we went...


But before officially leaving, we decided to take just a few minutes to visit downtown Portsmouth.  The town is always decorated nicely for the holidays and has a wonderfully festive feel.  You can't really tell that from this photo but, you will have to take me word for it :).

I, of course, visited one of my favorite shops, the Stonewall Kitchen.  We purchased a few Christmas presents and then, finally, we were off to our home in Groton, Massachusetts.  The trip home takes only about an hour.  Not a long distance but, such a different experience from our land locked town.  It's nice to have the ocean so close to visit whenever we have the chance.

When we got home we set up our Christmas tree.  As is usually the case, it took me three days to finish but, it is finally done and I think it is looking rather nice :).


~I hope your holiday season is filled with all sorts of fun and inviting things to do~


Sharing at these link parties:




4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the tour of your overnight at the beautifully decorated hotel. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is just gorgeous, loved it! I thought next year I would do the extra large pinecones with fresh garland around the outside of my home. Now I know it was a good idea...

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it really is a nice hotel. I love the large pine cones too. I might seek them out myself next year, as well. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete