Trying to Make an After Christmas Dried Orange Wreath

Hi, Everyone.  I am having a hard time after the holidays getting engaged.  The end of 2020 turned out to be even more difficult for my husband and me than the beginning of the pandemic.  In the span of three months my husband lost a brother and two of his brothers-in-law.  In fact, his brother-in-law, Bob, who along with his sister, Judy, have been our best friends for several decades now, passed away from cancer two weeks before Christmas.  It was a devastating time for the whole family and, truly, it has been hard to get over.


But, time waits for no man, as they say, so I am trying to get back into the swing of things as January 2021 moves in.  All Christmas season I had wanted to try drying oranges and using them on a wreath.  I had seen several wreaths that I liked on Pinterest and hoped to get one made by Christmas.  Well, that never happened so, just this week I set out to give it a try.

So, I started off by Googling how to dry orange slices.  It is fairly easy but, you must have patience and some time on your hands.  I cut the oranges in slices. I think I may have sliced them a little thick because I cooked them longer than was suggested and some of them still did not totally dry.

My other problem was that the oranges I purchased appeared to look like pink grapefruit inside when sliced.  I continued on regardless.  You are supposed to put them on a cookie cooling rack set up in rows.  You should also have a cookie sheet under the rack.  I lined the cookie sheet with parchment paper to catch the liquid from the oranges.  That extra step made the clean up a snap!  You then place the cookie sheets in a 250 degree oven and cook for 2-3 hours turning the slices 2-3 or more times to help them dry evenly.  Keep an eye on them because some slices will dry more quickly than others.

I went out in my yard and gathered some pine boughs and used some leftover greens that I had kept in a bucket of water in my garage to fill in the gaps.  With a grapevine wreath base I constructed a shaggy looking wreath.  I was ok with that because the oranges were supposed to be the star of the show.

I don't usually integrate silk "flowers" with real elements but, since it is January there are no real berries available anywhere.  I wanted the berries to be white and I am not sure I would have found those during the holidays anyway.  In using white berries I hoped to bring the wreath into January with a winter look  and not to look so "holiday".  I am not sure I achieved that but, I like the white berries on the wreath as an accent in any case. 


I am not sure if you can catch it in this photo but, I also placed a few sprigs of eucalyptus around the wreath and some scattered walnuts, too.  The final touch was the ivory velvet "bow" positioned at the top.  I had seen other "bows" like this on Pinterest and thought I would change it up and not do my traditional looking bow this time.


The wreath turned out to be larger than I anticipated.  I wasn't sure where in the house I was going to put it.  I decided on the wall in my kitchen.  I actually like it there. The oranges and walnuts make it perfectly welcome in the kitchen but, in truth, it doesn't really give off that "winter" vibe.  So, I embraced the color and accented the look with copper.  It kind of looks like fall in the kitchen now but, I think I can live with it for a few weeks.  At least I got to try drying oranges!


I had a few extra slices so I hung them from a hook on the same wall as the wreath.  I kind of like that look too! And, there is a scent filtering through my home right now, which is nice.


There are brass sconces in the kitchen so, along with the copper, I have a mixed metals thing going 
on :).


So like my "After Christmas Christmas Tour" which you can see here and which seems to be becoming a tradition with me, I am now starting to do Christmas crafts after Christmas, as well.  

Don't worry.  I will be moving on now :).

We Were Featured!



Joining in with these Link Parties:




8 comments:

  1. Well, I think your wreath is gorgeous! And it looks perfect in your kitchen! The pine def gives it a winter vibe, too! Hope we get to see you at Tuesday Turn About!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie. I would love to drop by on Tuesday! Thank you for the invitation :).

      Delete
  2. Please accept my condolences for your relatives' deaths so close to Christmas. I'm glad you are continuing to create, though. I love your wreath! I also have been wanting to try this and saw some pomelos today at the supermarket that were huge and I'm thinking next week I might buy a couple and try to dry the slices. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly appreciate your thoughtful condolences, Teddee. You are sweet. I hope you give the oranges and wreath a try. It is always so much fun to branch out and experiment with something new! Have a great weekend :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine,

    What a lovely DIY project! You did a fabulous job, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing with is I'll be featuring you when the next To Grandma's house we go link party starts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful! Thank you, Tarahlynn :).

    ReplyDelete