A Prom Corsage for Julia and her Friends

 Hi all!  I haven't been blogging as consistently lately as I would like.  There have been reasons, however.  I caught a bad cold, my newly widowed sisters-in-law came to Massachusetts for a visit and finally, and most importantly, I was asked to make the wrist corsages for my granddaughter and her friends for their prom last week.  That task was my focus for the whole week. I wanted to make my granddaughter proud.

Believe it or not, getting flowers became somewhat of a chore because there has been a flower shortage of late.  I am sure it has something to do with the pandemic.  Thankfully, my flower supplier came through for me.  There was one bunch of white spray roses in the whole warehouse left and a few bunches of white ranunculus, too.  Thankfully, there was more than enough of the greenery I needed.

I was asked to make four wrist corsages for the high school ladies.  I was a little nervous because I normally make corsages for grandmothers for my weddings but, I wanted these corsages to be youthful looking. So, I stressed out a little and did some research on what was trending for wrist corsages.  I can't say I got a whole lot of help in that area but, here is how they turned out and looked as I placed them in the containers awaiting delivery.



Luckily, I had a shrub growing in the yard that was blooming perfectly last week and gave me these interesting "berries".  I thought they added really neat interest to the corsages and I loved using them.  I think the shrub is called Leucothoe, if you would like to know.


I had been instructed to use white, cream and blush colors.  The spray roses gave just the right color of blush to offset the whites and creams.



After they were packed up, I needed to make the delivery to Amesbury, Massachusetts, which is about 45 minutes away from my home. I hit some traffic as I made my way up which totally freaked me out!  I didn't want to be late!  Massachusetts is opening up again and it looks like I am going to have to count on traffic again, I guess.  I am happy for the opening up.  Not happy about the traffic :).

 One of my granddaughter's friends lives on the Merrimac River and offered the perfect backdrop for photos.  It was a beautiful day!  Totally awesome!



I quickly tied the corsages onto each of the girl's wrists.  Lucy, Julia's friend, let me take a close up photo of her corsage.  She knew I needed Instagram photos.  She was so sweet to oblige me :).


Next came all the posing!  I think this is Anna taking a photo of my granddaughter, Julia.


Here are the four ladies displaying their corsages just before they headed off to the prom.



And here I am with my son, Sam, my daughter-in-law, Jessica, and my granddaughter, Julia.  (It was a windy day.  That is the explanation for my crazy hair!)



You cannot imagine how honored and thrilled I was to be included in a small way to be a part of one of the special days in Julia's high school life.  I am very lucky.



2 comments:

  1. So pretty! Did you start with the ribbon as a base?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually used a traditional florist wristlet base with an elastic band bracelet. However, I glued the ribbon to the base in order to make a more youthful wrist corsage. The ribbon covered the elastic when it was tied to the wrist. I think it worked well.

    ReplyDelete