Bittersweet Florals

Bittersweet is a VERY invasive plant that has, unfortunately, made its way into my yard.  It's awful and REALLY hard to get rid of.  One lecturer I heard speak on the subject of the invasive nature of bittersweet said the only way to get rid of it is with a bulldozer.  Judging from my yard, I'm pretty sure he was right.  However, at this time of the year, it is so enticing to use it in fall decorations. I've been looking at this cluster of berries for a month now and finally decided I couldn't resist the urge any longer.  It was time to make a fall centerpiece with the stuff.


 
 
 
It just so happened that at my last garden club meeting I won this plum colored vase.  I thought the orange of the bittersweet would look beautiful in my new vase.




 
 
To compliment the orange bittersweet berries, I chose fuchsia colored carnations, purply-pink spider mums and rust colored button mums.  All of which I got at my local grocery store for a total cost of $12!  Isn't that great?!  Of course,. the free bittersweet makes the arrangement.  At least, I think so.

Sorry all these photos are taken outside on my rickety old picnic table.  It was cloudy that day and trying to take pictures inside simply did not work.  My flash kept going off and that makes for a weird exposure.  It really is time for me to take a photography class!  I'm sure there are ways to turn off the flash but, I haven't figured out how...yet.
 
 
I loved these colors together and really thought the arrangement look very pretty.  However, since there was no reaction from my family, I may have been the only one who thought so.  I comforted myself with the thought that my family has simply become desensitized to flowers since I am always experimenting with them.  My family has just gotten spoiled!
 
 However, I persevered and decided
 



 to place the arrangement on my kitchen counter and enjoy...even if I am the only one!
 
 

 
I did want you to know that I disposed of the left-over bittersweet branches the correct way, by putting them in a plastic bag and throwing them away in my garbage.  I've heard you shouldn't put invasive plants in your compost pile because by doing so you allow them to spread even more throughout your yard.  I know it doesn't amount to much but I would have felt guilty throwing them back into the woods.
 
There you have it, my bittersweet florals.  I think this will be the last of the fall colors for me.  Next, it is on to Christmas!
 
 

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment