A "Winter Meets Spring" Bouquet

Hi, Everyone!  I wasn't sure if I would be posting much this month or not because my two daughters were due to give birth in January.  Well, guess what!!  One baby has been born!  We welcomed a new grandson into the world on Monday and his name is Finn Thomas (middle name).  Thomas is my husband's name so there are thrills all around!  Mom and baby are doing very, very well and we are so thrilled!




In preparation of babies arriving, I did a few projects a week or so ago in order to have some material in the pipeline...so to speak for the blog.  One of my projects was to make a bouquet to be featured in a Facebook/Instagram ad I am hoping to run very soon to advertise my wedding and event floral business.  We will see if I am able to get to that little project but, that was my intention, anyway.  Today has been a snowy day and not a good day to travel.  It turned out to be the perfect time to sit at home and write a post.

  I'll be in my car tomorrow or this afternoon, if the snow stops falling, to see that new baby, for sure!


~Back to my other story :) ~   I headed out on a Monday morning to the smaller of the two flower markets I usually use for my floral work to purchase some flowers for my task.  I went to the smaller market because it is much closer to my home and much less stressful of a drive.  Unfortunately, because of a storm we had had a few days earlier the selection was not very good.  They seemed to be out of almost everything.


I had wanted to use winter greens such has fir and pine bows that were still available in my yard and incorporate plums, pinks, whites and grays in the bouquet.  I wanted to move away from Christmas colors but, still have a wintry result.
There were no plum flowers to be found at the market so I settled on dark burgundy, along with some pink, white, gray and green.  I actually purchased the gerber daisies at my local Wholefoods to finish off the bouquet.  As I have said, the selection was not wonderful.  Of course, that would happen when I had something specific in mind!  I should have gone to the larger market.  I know that selection would have been much better. Lesson learned!


Anyway, the flowers I used to create the bouquet were burgundy stock, white and pink gerber daisies, white lisianthus, a few pink roses, eucalyptus, green hypernicum berries and gray brunia: the gray berries in the bouquet.


The other problem I encountered on this not-so-productive trip was trying to find ribbon the color I had envisioned for the bouquet.  I could not find any...so...I found some fabric in the color I wanted and cut it into strips to use as the bouquet wrap.  I have used pieces of wedding dresses several times for this purpose in the past and  have always liked how it has turned out so, I thought it was worth a shot.  I ended up liking the look and was glad I hadn't driven all over town to find "just the right ribbon".


After I put the bouquet together I thought it would be neat to photograph it outside on the snow.  The snow added some extra interest and I was able to get a few good photos, which I was happy about.


I posted this photo ↓ on Instagram and one of my followers said, "Winter meets spring!"  I thought that was a good title.  Instagram is the best!  So many encouraging people!




In the end I got a few good photos I could play with for my ad....hopefully, the ad will come to be at some point :).


When I was done with that project I did have some flowers (only a few) left over along with some greens. With the leftovers I was able to make these little arrangements.  I call them my ice cream sundae bouquets because I made them in ice cream sundae dishes.


It is amazing how many flowers you can fit into a very small container.  I love making little arrangements like this.  They are simply fun!


 And finally, since I really did not need the bridal bouquet anymore I took it all apart and made this final arrangement for myself.  I love doing that too.  Flowers are so beautiful any which way you use them!


I am hoping to be able to keep posting this month but, who knows?  It all depends on the family and when another grand baby comes into the world :) !!!  So exciting!!!


Sharing at these link parties:


Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment