Features of a Seaside Cottage

Hey there!  I am just returning from a much needed vacation.  It was wonderful with lots of relaxation time.  That is what my husband and I needed and we enjoyed every moment of it.  The vacation was great!  Before I come back to "real life" I wanted to share some of the extraordinary elements of living in a vintage seaside community with all of its charm and quintessential features.



One of the quintessential features of my cottage on Cape Cod is the lace curtains I have placed in many of the windows.  This window is in the tiniest bedroom and it looks out to another quintessential feature of a Cape Cod cottage...the blue hydrangea bush.


Not many of the homes in our village of Bass River have such an interesting and picturesque front gate but, most of the homes have some sort of fence feature.  I just happen to love this one with the peek-a-boo view of the flowering shrubs beyond the gate.



Another classic feature of a seaside cottage is the cottage garden.  Flowers do wonderfully by the ocean but, this garden is one that I admire every time I ride my bike past this house.  Every year it seems to get more and more lush and beautiful.


I especially love the red bee balm.


I also love how some people name their homes.  I thought this one was quite unique seeing as it doesn't mention anything about the ocean but at the same time, if you live on Cape Cod you totally get the name.  The morning dew on Cape Cod is amazing, very heavy.  I am pretty sure that is why the flowers do so well there.


Another quintessential feature of the Cape Cod cottage is the, as my mom calls it, Cape Cod Rose covered fence.  Or...


a hedge of blue hydrangeas.


And, if you are really lucky, your cottage has a covered front porch where you can relax and read that novel you've been putting until summer :).



It seems like everyone has a storage shed somewhere in their yard.

This is a picture of my shed.  I had to include it because I LOVE how the flowers in the window box are growing so well this year, even though I haven't given them any tender-loving care :/



And, of course, it wouldn't be a seaside community without the view of the sea.  
As I have mentioned many, many times, this is the view I see on my bike ride every morning.  It isn't the view outside of my cottage windows but, maybe.....someday.  Wouldn't that be wonderful?!  Until then, I can enjoy it by taking a short walk or a quick bike ride.  I am good with that :).

Another must-have feature of a seaside cottage is the outdoor shower.  This is the view looking up from inside of our outdoor shower.  Our property is loaded with trumpet vines and often, we have hummingbirds coming by for a quick visit.  No way I could catch one of them in a photo!


And finally, the sunsets are...well, I will let you finish this sentence for yourselves :).


Now, it is back to real life.  Well, until the weekend of course!  It is summer, after all!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing at To Grandma's House We Go DIY, Crafts, Recipes and More Wednesday Link party! Pinned! Hope to see you next time!

    ReplyDelete