Creating a Colorful Display

Hi, Everyone!  How is your summer going?  Mine is going wonderfully, with lots of things going on, which is always fun.  I hope you are doing all sorts of great activities this summer, too!

My intention today was to show you how to make a colorful display using some of the items you may have in your home already, augmented with some seasonal things you can find in your favorite stores.




I wanted to start with this potter's bench which I purchased last year.  To be honest with you, I was having a very hard day yesterday when I was trying to set up the display.  I was feeling rushed and the weather was not cooperating...at all!  So, the display didn't turn out as wonderfully as I had hoped it would but, I decided to muscle through and show it to you anyway.


I wish I had added a few more elements to the table top and I wish I had placed my larger potted plant under the table.  The proportions would have been better.  Luckily, when you are creating a colorful display for your guests they won't be measuring up every last detail like I am doing right now.  It really isn't that healthy anyway :).  Your guests will just be excited to see what you have prepared for them!


I had been storing up these paper lanterns for a while and wanted to used them here.  Paper lanterns are so much fun, especially in the summer.  I love all the different patterns they come in!





Fresh fruit can be an easy accessory when trying to create a colorful summer display.  I just love the pattern of this Melamine dinnerware set.  It was a gift from my daughter so I can't take credit for having picked it out.  It coordinated so well with the oranges and limes and the smell was divine.


I thought blueberries floating in the lemonade would be so pretty and make the photos look so lovely.  Little did I know the blueberries would fall to the bottom of the glass. I had to keep stirring the glasses with a spoon to keep them somewhat afloat.  I guess I'd better Google, "How to make blueberries float in liquid" the next time!"



The lemonade looked so good while I was these taking pictures.  It was 80+ degrees and high, high, high humidity.


I found these orange/melon colored carnations at the grocery store.  They went perfectly with the dinner plates, not to mention how colorful they are on their own.




I had been battling darkness in my screen porch the whole time I was shooting so, I decided to take some of the elements outside where the lighting was much better.  I had to work fast, however, because storms were coming and the winds were whipping up.  The paper lanterns were blowing all over the place and I was afraid the umbrella outside was going to take flight like it had the day before.  (Luckily, it was still intact when I found it in the back yard!)




So, the colorful display continued outside.  I was becoming more and more in need of a glass of that lemonade as the time wore on! 


So, I took a few more photos, posted one of them on Instagram and called it a day.




I really loved the look of the dinnerware with the oranges and limes.  Everything looks so refreshing--just the way you want it to look in the summer.

To recap what I used:

Dinnerware, Plastic Pitcher and Cups, White Beverage Tub:  Collected from my home

Paper Lanterns:  I think I purchased them from Michael's

Orange Carnations:  Shaw's Supermarket

Fruit and Lemonade Mix:  Shaw's Supermarket

Galvantized Vase for Flowers:  From my home collection, as well

What ways do you use to make colorful displays?  I would love to here about them!


***I have not been compensated in any way.  Just sharing my experiences and letting you know where I purchased some of the items.

Joining in with these link parties:

1 comment:

  1. The colors in this are so inviting. Thanks for sharing on To Grandma's House We Go!

    ReplyDelete