A Grocery Store Flowers Challenge



Hey there!  How is it going?  I have been busy getting my flower beds planted for the summer.  It is grueling work but rewarding in the end.  Once they start really getting established I hope to show them to you.  Right now, they look somewhat bedraggled so I will wait on that :).

However, a week or so ago my husband came home from the grocery story with two bunches of flowers for me.  I think he knew I was missing working with flowers and arranging them.  My floral design work has all but stopped at the moment.  I have a few bridal bouquets to do in mid-summer for brides who are getting married in very small ceremonies with the hopes of having later big celebrations but that is about it.  So far, all of my 2020 weddings have been postponed until 2021.  It is the sad reality for couples during this pandemic.  Anyway, wasn't Tom sweet to have purchased these flowers for me?


Here are the bunches below.  At first I was going to try to combine them to make one big arrangement but the colors were kind of all over the place so I decided to keep them in two separate groupings.  I then decided to challenge myself to see what kind of an arrangement I could come up with having to use so few flowers and ones that someone else had put together for me.



I started with this bunch. It contained yellow Gerber daisies, purple (fragrant) stock, pink snapdragons, green mums and another filler flower that I cannot remember the name of.


I found this container and filled it with oasis.

 
I, then, went into my yard to find some greenery that would fill in the empty spaces in between the flowers.  I had rhododendron...

and some PMJ azalea branches in my garden to work with.

I wanted to make an asymmetrical arrangement so I started placing the greenery in as shown below.


I created the shape of the arrangement with the snapdragons and by placing a gerber daisy near the center to anchor the look.   I had also filled in more greenery to cover the oasis so it wouldn't show through.


I added in another Gerber daisy and snapdragon to the left side of the arrangement.

I brought in some of the pink filler flower and a stem of the purple stock.


Next came the green mums and...



the pink carnations.


And more stock


I apologize for the quality of my photographs.  I have been having some technical problems with editing, etc. my photographs so, these are straight out of the shoot with no editing done at all :/.

I thought this outside photo showed the placement of the flowers better than the one inside my studio.


Here is the finished product.  I had a lot of fun making it and was amazed at how far the few flowers contained in the grocery store bundle went to create a full finished product.




Here is the arrangement as it sat in the shed/studio.  I really kind of liked it~



This ↓ was the other bunch my husband had purchased.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to arranging these flowers until a few days later.  As you may have seen in my earlier post, a tree fell through the roof of our barn during a bad wind storm.  That happened the day after I made the first arrangement.  We were kind of involved in taking care of the tree and the barn during that time :).


I did manage to arrange those flowers a few days later.  It was more of a messy composition but, I posted it on Instagram and one of my followers told me it was beautiful so, that made me feel good!




Thank goodness for positive comments!


Hope you have had a great week and will have a good weekend to come. 
  


Take care until next week!


Link Parties:








































2 comments:

  1. So often grocery store flowers get a bad rap, but you've shown just how wonderful they can be.
    Sandra @ Dinner at Eight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Sandra. Thank you for the kind words :).

    ReplyDelete