Creating a Beach Themed Tablescape in the Country

Hi, Everyone!  I am back from a very nice vacation although the weather was not perfect.  It was great to get away and relax for a while.  I suppose the cloudy days helped in that respect, now that I think of it.  I have been rejuvenated just as I had hoped and am ready to share some new ideas and designs with you!





Anyone who knows me knows that I love the beach.  Having been born and raised on Cape Cod, Massachusetts and having owned a vacation cottage there for many years makes it a forgone conclusion that I would!  Unfortunately, when I am at my cottage and at the beach I am too busy with family things to get around to creating a post for my blog.  Besides, most of my "stuff" is in Groton and I do not think I would have all the supplies I need to do the best job of posting that I could.  




So...even though I do not have the sand and the sea at my disposal, I set out to create a beach scene, as it were, at my home in Groton.  I did have some beach "stuff" at my disposal here so, why not use it?  It would remind me of my beloved beach, anyway :).

Yesterday was a mixed day, weather-wise, and I had some personal things going on that I was concerned about so creating a beach-themed tablescape seemed a good way to occupy my mind.  And, I must say, it worked.  The afternoon flew by!



I found two bags of miscellaneous beach stuff in the basement.  That was a good start.  Then, I set out to find an area of my house that could work even though the yard is filled with trees and greenery and not sand and sea for the photo background.

I decided on the back deck because it is painted a taupe beige and I thought that looked more like the beach than the grassy front yard, (although the grass is pretty brown right now.)  I have a small bistro set on the deck which would work "well enough" for my purposes.



In the two bags from the basement there were lots and lots of purchased sea shells, sea glass, sand dollars and starfish.  I also had purchased some beach plates and wine glasses along the way that would work perfectly, as well.



I went into my stash and found vases and pillar candle holders that were on the beachy side so I used them too.  I used the pillar candle holders without the candles and topped them with two starfish. 


I placed a few votive candle holders on the table to bring some light to it.  It was getting close to dusk when I photographed the table so the votives were somewhat necessary, anyway, and they gave a nice glow to the overall look.


I used the Massachusetts napkins rings that I purchased years ago in Falmouth as an homage to Cape Cod.  I also used plastic silverware because I thought fancy silverware did not fit the mood of the table.  


Also in my bag of tricks were some tablecloth weights.  The tablecloth really didn't need them.  It was not windy but I thought they were cute and decided to use them too!



Because I hate throwing away things I think I might use in the future, I was able to make a centerpiece out of dried pampas grass, scabiosa pods and another dried green that I can't remember the name of.  These were all left overs from a wedding I did last fall.  The items were not dried at the wedding but they dried nicely in my shed afterwards.

 

I thought the grasses and pods looked kind of beachy and I liked the look.



So, don't let your surroundings inhibit your creativity.  If you feel like being at the beach but the scenery around you is more mountain than beach, who cares?  It's summer!  Pretend :).  Make an oasis for yourself to escape and just enjoy it!




Happy Dining!





Joining in with these Link Parties:
Grandma's House DIYTFTWow Me WednesdayTurn About Tuesday
Create, Bake, Grow and Gather PartySilver Pennies SundaysLove Your Creativity









2 comments:

  1. This looks great! I really like the darling beach plates and they look so nice with your goblets. I have some similar goblets in lots of colors. Mine are plastic but they work great and my grand kids love them! I would love to have you come and join Centerpiece Wednesday Linky Party and share your idea with us.
    https://karinskottage.com/2020/07/centerpiece-wednesday-party-time.html
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I will definitely check out your party :).

    ReplyDelete