Making a Wreath from Roadside Plants

A little over a week ago I decided to create something from almost nothing.  I noticed some plants growing in abundance on the side of the road.  I would call them weeds but that has gotten me into trouble. (I will explain that later.)  There were some of these "plants" growing on my property and they reminded me of artemisia.  Some people make dried wreaths with artemisia so I decided to give it a go with this roadside plant material.


I have to say it was great fun getting back into my floral studio {shed for the less fancy :)} and creating something.


The plants looked like this ↓ right after being cut.  The wreath itself took a larger amount of stems to make than I would have imagined.  I thought I could get two wreaths out of the batches I picked but, it wasn't even close.  I made one wreath with only a small bit of stems leftover.


Making this wreath takes very few tools.  I used clippers to cut the plants (weeds), wire to wrap the bunches of stems to the wreath frame and wire cutters to cut the wire.


I purchased a wreath form from Michael's.  This one was more beefy than I needed but it was the only form in the size I wanted available in the store.

You start the wreath by grabbing a clump of the plant material and holding it together.  


You then attach the clump to the wreath frame with the wire by twisting the wire tightly around the clump and the form to keep it in place.

Overlap the next clump slightly over the first clump and wrap the wire tightly around the frame trying to leave some of the ends of the plants outside of the wire to give it a fluffy look.




I am sorry.  I didn't take good pictures of the whole process.  

Remember you do not cut the wire in between clumps.  The wire moves in a continuous loop all the way around and back to the beginning.  At that point, cut the wire and try to twist it on the back side of the wreath and secure it as best you can.


When the wreath was done I started to add dried flowers that I also purchased from Michael's.  I had some dried baby's breath already in my supplies so I used that, as well.


I worked at it until it seemed pleasing to my eye.  I hot glued some of the dried flowers to the wreath to keep the stems secured.


I thought it needed a bow also.  Luckily, I had a peach colored sheer ribbon in my supplies and thought it went well with the overall look.


Now to how using the word "weed" may have gotten me into trouble.  As soon as I had finished this wreath I posted a picture on Instagram.  In the description I used the words roadside weed twice.  Now I have been blocked from commenting and liking on Instagram. I never thought that using that word in the context I did would be a problem.  It is very upsetting and I am not sure how to fix it. I've tried reaching out to Instagram but, to no avail.  I am hoping it will clear itself up but, if not I might have to start a whole new account which, of course, raises all sorts of other problems since my current one is attached to this blog and my website designsandevents.com. The funny thing about all of this is that I only posted the picture for one day before I took it down on Instagram and Facebook but, get this.  I received a message from my July bride who wanted to buy it!  I am giving it to her but, just the fact that she liked it so much made my day!  If anyone has any Instagram advice for me, I would more than welcome it!  Thank you!


My wreath has a new home!


Look Where We Were Featured!!

Thursday Favorite Things




My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia




Wow Me Wednesday 


 

***I have not been compensated in any way for this post.


Joining these Link Parties:

Wednesday Link PartyWow Me Wednesday TFTCreate, Bake, Grow &Gather

Silver Pennies SundaysLove Your CreativityInspire Me Monday,Tutorials & Tips

Beautifully Made

8 comments:

  1. Christine, this is SO pretty. I am up at our cabin in the mountains and have lots of things growing by the road. I am actually going to try and make this. I love it! You are very resourceful. Just found you on Thursday Favorite Things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I hope you find some fun materials and make a beautiful wreath! Thank you for stopping by :).

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty wreath and love that it is made with roadside "plants". Yikes, sorry to hear about your Instagram account. Sorry I don't have any words of advice, other than contacting them, which you did. I hope your account is up and running again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Marie. I am still having trouble and still working on it. Thanks for the encouraging words, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE, love, love your wreath, Christine!! Congratulations I'm featuring you this week at the TFT party! Thank you so much for sharing!! Happy Almost Fall!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Theresa! Thank you! I very much appreciate the feature. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. How long do you think this will last/keep - I guess the "weeds" will dry? It is very pretty. Shame about the posting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lis. Yes, the "weeds" do try and I used purchased dried flowers to use, as well. All good. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete