Making a Spring Wreath from Unusual Elements

 

Hi all!  I have been doing flower projects for the past few weeks.  Last week I worked on flowers for a baby shower, but that work did not begin until Thursday.  So, with greens that were left over from the previous week's project (Click here if you would like to read about that project) I decided to play around and make a wreath.  The greens just seemed to call for that :).


Even though the greens were ones that I would normally use for making a holiday wreath, 
the color of the evergreen was somewhat of a spring green, so I thought, "Why not go for it?"
 I started with this ↓ wreath form.  I found it in my stash of supplies.  Yay, I didn't have to
 go shopping!

Here are the steps to making my wreath~


The first step to creating a wreath is to securely attach a spool of floral wire to the wreath form. 
 This is where you will place your first bunch of greens to begin the process.


I took a few sprigs of the evergreen (I think it might be called gold cypress, but I am not sure.) and a sprig or two 
of silver dollar eucalyptus and clumped them together as you see below.  I think the clump measures around 5" in length. 


 When in place on the form wind the wire around the base of the clump going around the wreath
 form two or three times to secure in place.  Do not cut the wire.  Leave the spool and wire intact.



Keep going around the form facing the greens in the same direction and winding the wire 
around to secure. Cover the last place you wound the wire on the form with the free end of
 your clump. You will have to try to weave the wire in between the sprigs of greens so as not to
 bind them too closely.  You want the greenery to flow out as you create the wreath.  Don't be too worried about how the wiring looks because you will be covering the wired end with the next
 bunch of greens.  Take your time.  There is no rush.



Keep going around the form in the same manner...


keep going until you are almost all the way around the form.


The next part is a little tricky.  You will make another clump of greens.  This time you might want to make it somewhat more substantial.  You will then place the free end of it in the opposite direction you have been going all the way around the form.  Try to fit the ends of the stems (wired end) into the greenery already on the form in the opposite direction and let the ends of the greens flow over the beginning point of your wreath freely.  You will then have to weave the wire around all the greens trying to secure any stragglers as you do this while at the same time trying not to bind the sprigs too much. This takes some patience. When you are happy with the security of the greens on the form and how the wreath looks, you will cut the wire, wind it around a few more times and secure it to the back of the wreath.  This all takes some effort so do not be discouraged.  If you see some areas needing more greens on the wreath, gently try to push one sprig of green into the wire that has already been wound around the form.  If it is too floppy, you can cut a piece of wire and secure it that way.



This was the end result for me.  I forgot to mention that I found some boxwood sprigs in the bucket
 and added them to the wreath using the method I just mentioned.  


I thought it looked quite nice if not a bit wintry.  It needed to be brought into the spring
season.



So, I foraged through my supplies yet again and found some ribbon and some
 silk flowers.


I quickly added them to the wreath since I was just playing around.  If I were more serious 
about this project, I would have purchased new silk flowers and, perhaps, a brighter-colored
 ribbon for the bow.




However, the end result was a wreath that looked springier than it had before I added
 the flowers and the bow, so it was "mission accomplished" for me :).


So, can you see how you can take elements that may not be conventional for a certain
 time of year and make them work for you?  It is a way of having more choices.
  What can be wrong with that?

List of Supplies:

(1) wreath form, any size you desire
Spool of floral wire
Miscellaneous greens such has gold cypress and silver dollar eucalyptus
Silk flowers
Ribbon
Patience :)


Joining these Link Parties:

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment