New Homemade Shelves in the Kitchen

Hello!  I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  Today I am sharing a long-awaited change in my kitchen.  For years the shelves below have been what have adorned the wall in my kitchen. My husband made these shelves for me soon after we moved into this house.  That has been a very long time and as I have mentioned before, I was coming from previously owning two Victorian homes and I was not quite ready for modern decor.  However, now I wanted shelves that are more in tune with the current decorating trend of these days and ones that actually are closer to the style of the house, which is contemporary, post and beam. 


The kitchen itself has been a work-in-progress like much of the rest of the house.  We painted the cabinets a few years ago and I really like the change. It went from this...




To this ↓.  I love the white cabinets.  What you don't see in these photos is an L-shaped island in the middle of the room which is now painted grey.  On the opposite wall of this photo is where the shelves hang.

My husband does a great job with building things for me.  I simply must tell him what I want.  Sometimes, it takes me a while for me to decide.  That might be what took so long 😉.

Tom started with left-over shelving from another project, which he was able to cut down to the correct depth and width.  To support the wood shelves, he made these narrow brackets.  The color of the shelves was perfect the way it was so, Tom didn't need to re-stain them, which was great.

Once the shelves were in place, it was time to fill them.  I purchased these faux boxwood plants and...

this vase from a warehouse-type home decorating store about 35 minutes from my house.  I guess the look is more farmhouse than contemporary but, I am taking baby steps decor-wise these days :).  I thought simplicity would work in any case.

I already had some other pieces that I placed on the shelving, as well.


The finished look was very simple and minimal just the way I wanted for right now.  As the year goes on and Christmas comes around, I may get a little fancier but, for now, this is just what I wanted.

Even with the modern look of the home, I still think the new shelves have a place here.




Joining these Link Parties:

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment