How a Small Flower Arrangement Can Add Just the Right Amount of Something

Hey, there!  I am having a busy, wonderful summer.  How about you?  Because I have had such a great summer, this week I needed to catch up on work for my home and business.  Part of that business work is to post some photos to Instagram as regularly as possible.  Being away and having so much fun has hindered that. Yesterday was a rainy day and allowed me to get some things done.  While I was doing that, I pondered about what I could post on Instagram.  Walking through my kitchen several times an hour made me realize I hadn't yet shared the new wood floor with the world.  I have waited years for this floor, mainly because I couldn't make up my mind about what I wanted.  I know it's silly to share such a funny thing but, blogging is about life, and this was part of my life.

 All of this led to a trip to the grocery store for some floral props.  When I was done with my little project, I realized I might just have something to share with all of you.

When I got to Shaw's, my local store, I learned that on Monday the pickin's are slim for flowers.  Undeterred, I kept looking trying to find a small bundle of flowers that might work well.  I didn't want to spend too much money for one picture, as I am sure you can understand.  Tah-da!  I found a small bunch for only $5.  Perfect!  This would work!

Here were the flowers that came in the bunch.  There were yellow and pink mums, pink carnations, one stem of pink spray roses and one bedraggled small yellow Gerber daisy.  I had to wire the daisy to make it stand up straight. I am not sure how long it will last but, it looked nice for the photo and that was my goal.

Since the bunch was small, I knew it would not fill up the white container I had found in my stash for the photo shoot so, I used a little trick I picked up along the way in floral arranging. I made a floral "frog" of sorts from floral wire that you can get from The Dollar Store.  It doesn't look like much here but having something like this in the vase helps the flowers to stay where you place them.

When I was done with the arrangement, it was bare in the back.  Can you see the red wire "frog" in the base of the vase?

Here is how the arrangement looked on the kitchen counter.  I thought it looked sweet.


I often like to have some high-flying flowers in my arrangements and this one was no exception.

The flowers added a pop of color which was what I wanted.


This was the picture I took for Instagram.


This is the picture I posted after editing it on the Instagram app.  It came out a little brighter on Instagram.  The whole point was to show my new floor but, the photo needed to look good and have some context.  The flowers helped with that.



I think the little flower arrangement added to the overall look of the kitchen.  I realized as I was doing this photo work that the process had really affirmed my belief in the power of flowers to enhance a room, a mood and life in general.  That's when I started to think how this somewhat insignificant task could add enjoyment to a party or, even, to your overall day.  It isn't a big thing but, sometimes life is made up of little things.  Don't you agree?



Try to remember as you are inviting guests to your home how something as small as a $5 bunch of flowers could add a little something, something to your visit or event.  It really doesn't have to cost a lot to bring beauty to the scene.  And, remember the grocery store has already put the flowers and colors together for you.  There isn't much left to it after that.  Even if no one notices the flowers, you will and that may be all that matters.


Also, as I was thinking about this small arrangement, I realized as a floral designer I really had to finish it.  I didn't like the back being empty so, I cut some greens from the yard and filled in the back with a few stems of boxwood.



I am pretty sure I will be enjoying these flowers all week :).  Another definite benefit to the whole task!




Please note:  That I have not been compensated for writing this post.  

4 comments:

  1. Such a pretty little burst of sunshine Christine! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. Sometimes just a small vase of flowers can have such a huge impact. I love how bright it looks in your kitchen. Unrelated to the post, but I also love your kitchen ceiling. Have a good week.
    Meagan-Decorative Inspirations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Meagan. My house is a 1970's contemporary. I don't know if you have heard of Deck House but, our house is a 1970's knock off of Deck House called a Core Built Home. I am so used to the ceilings that I wonder if I will ever be able to have a home with a traditional ceiling again. Thanks so much for dropping by :).

    ReplyDelete