Decorating Our New Family Room

 Hey, all!  How are you doing?  Again, I apologize for being tardy in posting.  No excuses.  Just life.  I have been continuously working on making my new house a home and today I am sharing with you the transformation of the family room.  Other than the kitchen it is the most used room in the house.

I will start with some photos that show how the room looked when we toured the house to buy.  There was nothing wrong with the room.  It was perfectly comfortable and nice, but it was simply a little dated, at least for my taste.  I didn't like the yellow look of the paint. (I am not sure you can see that from these photos but trust me, it was on the yellow side.)  I really wanted the white-on-white look.  So, we hired a painter and had the whole room, woodwork and all, painted in Benjamin Moore White Dove.



Here is how the room looked after it was painted, and as we slowly moved into it. You will have to forgive the huge TV in the room.  Our plan is to someday have it mounted on the wall but, that has not been a priority yet.  And I would be lying if I did not fess up to the fact that we like watching our sports teams on a big TV.  In fact, I think we could go a bit larger :).  However, decor wise the TV does get in the way.  So, please try to ignore it.



The room is fairly large, but it "just" fit our long sectional.  We brought it with us from our other house.  The sectional fits a large part of our family of 16 and that is why we purchased it in the first place.  Most of the other furniture pieces in this room were brought with us from our other house, as well.


We did, however, purchase this leather chair and ottoman.  To be truthful, I have been waiting for this chair to be delivered before showing you the room.  It really was not finished until the chair showed up.  


One of the best features of the room is the fireplace with the mantle.  I love having the mantle to decorate.  


All of the decorating has been a slow-go but, I am getting there.  I hope to replace the painting on the mantle with one I like even better at some point.  This painting also came with me to the new house so, I used it just to have something to put up there.


We are lucky in that the room is good size, especially when it is just the two of us at home.  It is not as large as our old family room and we no longer have a large living room to entertain in but, we wanted to downsize somewhat anyway so, it has all worked out well.  Luckily, we have other areas in which to entertain.  One such room is the sitting room.  You can see that transformation here.


I do love all the windows in the room.  It is so bright especially with all the white woodwork and white walls.



This is the view out to the side yard ↓.  The wall of windows lets in a lot of light.  Sorry about the
 view of the old basketball hoop.  This came with the house.  It hasn't been used much yet so we
 will see if it stays :)


We even have a French door that leads to the deck in this room.  I have always loved French doors so; I am excited to have it!


In addition to these features, the room also has a few nooks and crannies here and there.

This area sits behind the couch.  I set up a card table and did a jigsaw puzzle throughout the winter.  That puzzle was hard!  It literally took me all winter to finish!


The new bench supplied the place for me to sit while doing the puzzle.  The views out of all the windows are lovely.  I am enjoying that~


Another nook is next to the leather chair.  It is a good place to read a magazine or do a sudoku.  I also enjoy having these shelves to put some of my treasures on.


Other areas allow me to display some housewarming gifts I received when we moved in. These came from my daughter-in-law, Jessica.


All-in-all it has become a very comfy room and one in which we spend a lot of our time.






Enjoy your weekend and I will try my best to blog more regularly :).

XOXO


Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment