• 1
    HOME
    Home is where life is lived. This is where I love to show my creativity and individuality. Let’s make our homes as beautiful, interesting and comfy as they can be.
    Read more
  • 2
    HOLIDAYS
    Celebrating holidays throughout the year brings joy to life. Bringing this joy to you by sharing ideas and visual concepts through this blog makes me happy!
    Read more
  • 3
    FLORAL DESIGN
    Floral design is my art form. I love the look, the smell and feel of flowers and love mixing and matching flowers into gorgeous arrangements. I want to share all things flowers with you.
    Read more
Hello!
I'm Christine and am so glad you are here. I am a wife, a mother of three grown children, and a grandmother, as well as a floral designer. I am also someone who loves making a house a home. This space is my opportunity to share ideas on floral design, holiday decorating, entertaining, gardening and so much more!

Please come and enjoy the journey with me!
WANNA KNOW MORE?
read more

Read these first

Latest on the blog

Nine Things I Learned from Planting and Growing a Flower Garden this Summer

Here are nine things I learned from planting 
and growing a flower garden this summer


Start Zinnia Seeds in Pots for the most Controlled Environment and the Best Outcome

This spring I started zinnias from seed in leftover flowerpots I had saved.  This worked well because the flowers were in a controlled environment with soil that had few weeds and bugs imbedded in it.  Ground soil can produce, and often does, competing weeds and eventually leaf eating bugs and slugs that interfere with the growth of the newbie plants.
                             
Pull Out Dahlia Tubers Early and Plant Them in the Ground as Soon as the Frost is Gone.  Don't Wait!

                When I say pull out dahlias early, I mean from winter storage.  I placed the tubers in the basement encased in peat moss in a big cardboard box.  I was doing what I had read to do and was hoping for a better outcome in the spring than the year before.  Last year many of the tubers had dried out and I wanted a better return on investment this summer.  To my surprise, even with the peat moss many were lost. They were dried up. I ended up having to buy more tubers. Dahlias are difficult, but I will keep trying with them.  They are just too beautiful to ignore 😀! 
                 However, I believe if I had not waited to see which tubers were viable and just placed them in the ground earlier in June, I would be celebrating blooms by now.  As it turns out, the dahlias are slowly starting to bud here in early August. That just seems too long to wait. The only thing saving my ego is that a neighbor down the street, who has a prolific dahlia garden, seems to be experiencing the same problem.  Her dahlias are short and haven't bloomed yet either.



You Can Use Leftover Seeds from Last Year.  They Will Still Germinate.

                  I found some old flower seeds I had left over from last summer in my cupboard and decided to use them.  I believe most seeds have an expiration date printed on them, but I am not sure I even tried to look for it.  The seeds sprouted and I have had very good luck with them.  The exception was the nasturtiums.  Only a small percentage of them sprouted.  It is worth the try because even seeds are getting a bit pricey.  Don’t let viable seeds go to waste.  Watching them sprout and grow is a joy, and a real sense of accomplishment.



Experiment a Little 

 When I say experiment, I mean try something you hadn’t thought of trying to grow in your garden before. My experiment this season was growing hollyhocks from seed.  I have always liked hollyhocks but never felt like paying the $16-$24 for them when I have had so many other plants to buy.  So, even though I knew they would not bloom this summer (they are biennials), I started them from seed.  I grew them in pots and still have them in pots.  They should be transplanted to the garden soon, but they look so healthy so far that I haven't done it yet.  


  
                   Start With Good Quality 4-6 Packs of Seedlings from Great Local Nurseries




                 I should have learned this about myself a long time ago.  Start with the best seedlings you can find even if they cost a bit more.  I have a wonderful nursery around the corner from my house called Nunan's and their flowers are superb!  They cost more than going to Home Depot or Lowe’s, but the quality is beyond reproach.  In years past I have bought cleome, cosmos and celosia from other places thinking I could fertilize them into submission and growth but, never had any luck.  They always under performed.  I think it’s me but this year I bought these flowers from Nunan's and have enjoyed viewing these big, beautiful blooms most of the season. They have performed very well. So, if you can afford it, start with the best plants you can find.

Purchase Plants During the Season Even if They Were Not Part of the
 Original Garden Plan. 


        When visiting nurseries looking for your favorite plants, don’t be afraid to purchase a plant or two that catch your eye even if you do not have any experience with it.  I purchased this plant from Home Depot, I believe. I am not even sure what it is called but, it has turned into one of my favorites in the                                                                                  new garden thus far.
                    
Always Use Flowers That Display the Colors You Love.



  I love the color blue, and I love to use it in the garden.  Sometimes it comes off as purple/blue because true blue is very hard to find in flowers and even harder to find in plants that deer will not devour.  However, some standbys are a reoccurrence in my garden. Above are a few I have found that work: torenia, tall ageratum and petunia.  Find a color that makes you happy and use it wherever you can!

Fertilize, Fertilize, Fertilize 


              I cannot say this enough.  If you want many blossoms in your flower garden, you need to fertilize.  I would say you should fertilize once a week in June, July and August for best results. You can slow it down by early to mid-September, however.  The sun is not as strong then and the flowers are starting to slow down themselves, but you will see great results by fertilizing all summer long.

Take Time to Enjoy Your Garden




 Finally, and probably most importantly, take time to enjoy your garden.  I make it a habit of walking through my garden every morning I can and often times in the early evening, as well.  There is no sense of doing all the work that needs to be done with gardening if you are not going to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  It is even better if you can see the garden from a window or from the dining table on your deck. Thankfully, I have both!  I hope you do too!

Enjoy Your Summer Gardening!!


****I have not been compensated for writing this post.