My Giverny

I shared this post last year, with a few additions, but I was just beginning my blogging experience and now realize I should have included more than three photos.  So, if you don't mind, I am going to share part of this post again with some additions and subtractions.
~This next paragraph was part of the narrative I included last year:

"This is my rendition of Monet's Giverny Garden.  When we moved into our current house over twenty years ago, these Siberian Irises were already planted in the island garden of our driveway.  I have had a love-hate relationship with them ever since.  When they are blooming, they are beautiful. I love the purple and the green.  It truly reminds me of a Monet painting.  However, after the blooming is done, they look pretty straggly and the nature of this plant is to multiply all over the place." 

The reason I decided to share a new edition of this post is because I look out my kitchen window every morning and see this lovely, lovely garden and I just had to share it again.



It seemed appropriate to share some info about Siberian Iris this year since I failed to do so last year.  They are relatively low maintenance plants.  However,

 I have found that they can be a bit invasive and may need thinning  out and moving to other parts of the garden, which, I have to admit... 
 can be a pain in the neck.  But, to that I say,

"Just look at them!"  They really do look like a Monet painting!  You can't beat that even if they do need some trimming up once in a while.

Anyway, Siberian Iris grows in full sun to part shade.  (I have yet to find a place in which they won't grow.)

The rhizomes (the root part of the plant) should be planted about 1" deep and they prefer humus-rich, acid and very moist soil.  Supposedly, Siberian Iris hardly ever need to be divided but, as I have said, this has not been my experience. Mine could be divided every few years, if I had the energy.  I am not sure if your experience would be the same.  I guess it all depends on your garden conditions.

Here is the iris planted with peonies and another yellow perennial that grows all over my yard also.  (I can't remember its name :/)  The color combinations usually look very nice.

So, as I have said, my relationship with Siberian Iris has been one of love-hate because, most likely, in a week all the flowers will be gone and only greenery will be left.  The greenery will flop over and start to brown creating a need for some quick thinking as to what to do to make the garden look nice again.  I have tried planting tall annuals within the stalks of the Siberian Iris and have had some success with that but not enough to make me happy.  This year I'm thinking of mixing in some hanging baskets on hooks to add some needed color in the garden later in the summer.  We'll see how that goes but, for now, I am going to enjoy my Giverny garden and not think of the future quite yet!

I hope you have enjoyed my Giverny garden also!


Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment