The Joy of Farms and Farmstands in the Fall

Hey, there!  I know I said I would finish up the story of my trip to Mackinac Island and I truly plan to but, I had such a fun weekend with unexpected discoveries that I simply had to tell you about them! On Friday, my daughter, Amanda, texted me and asked me if I wanted to spend the day with her and two of my grandchildren.  Of course, I said, "Yes!"




Amanda wanted to take the kids to Parlee Farms in Tyngsboro, MA to see the animals and get some apples. The farm was such a delight with goats--baby ones, rabbits, sheep and more goats.  I think the goats were my favorites.  I loved watching them play. Unfortunately and stupidly, I left my cellphone in the car and wasn't able to take any photos.  In truth, I had my hands full walking around with my grandchildren and would not have had a chance to take photos anyway.

However, the biggest discovery for me besides the animals, the hay bale maze, the cider donuts and the delicious apples was the field of flowers.  Most of them were zinnias but there were also some dahlias and sweet peas. It was a sea of color and so beautiful!  For a fee you could cut a bucket of flowers.  Awesome!!  I went back the next day to show my husband the farm and quickly took this photo of the flower field to share on Instagram.  It didn't occur to me that I might be blogging about the experience or I would have taken more. The place was jammed on Saturday and I was in a hurry so, no flower picking for me that day but, I do hope to go back very soon! 

****** 
On Sunday afternoon, my husband and I took a ride up to Newburyport, MA and met my other daughter, Brittany, and her dog, Lucy.  We were looking for a way to enjoy the beautiful weather.  After walking around for a while and doing some shopping, we all decided it was time to go home.  However, after saying our "good-byes" and heading out in opposite directions, we soon got a call from Brittany telling us we just had to turn around and visit a farmstand she had just driven by.  

The farm was Colby Farm in Newbury, MA and on their property is a field of thousands (I'm guessing) of sunflowers.  The traffic was horrible getting to the stand and we were wondering what in the world we had gotten ourselves into but, when we finally turned into the driveway of the farm we saw zillions (haha!) of people heading to a yellow hill in the distance.

 I have never seen so many sunflowers in one place before!



There were dozens and dozens of people using this moment for a photo op.  There were many, many professional photographers taking pictures.  There was even an engagement photo shoot going on.  It was a great spot to take pictures of your children and many parents were taking this opportunity, as well.  Even an artist had perched herself in the field with her easel.

Sunflowers are such happy flowers, aren't they?




I know that I have been complaining about how sad I am that summer is over.  Well, I guess I had forgotten just how much fun fall is!  Apple picking, cornstalks, gourds, pumpkins, harvest colors--I had forgotten how much I love all of that!

Anyway, I just had to share some of my unexpected weekend experiences with you.  I hope you didn't mind my little diversion :).

I promise that I will finish my story about my trip to Mackinac Island soon!  Until then~~Enjoy!!!

Joining these Link Parties:
The Scoop
Brag About It
Wow Us Wednesdays
Share Your Style
Feathered Nest Friday
Create Bake Grow & Gather
Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make
Sundays at Home
Silver Pennies Sundays
Inspiration Monday
The Scoop

2 comments: