A New Spin on Valentine Floral Arrangements

So, last week I was talking about transitioning my Christmas decorating to winter decorating.  Did you see the post?  Well just like that, I am over it!  I guess that shows that it took me too long to do my winter decorating in the first place because now I seem to be all about Valentine's Day.  I'm scatter-brained that way sometimes :).

My husband is traveling this week; snow and extreme cold temperatures were forecasted.  So, I decided to go and buy some flowers and play around with them while I was stuck inside.  My desire was to make a Valentine floral arrangement but not in the traditional colors.  I was inspired by a couple of spools of ribbon that sat on my counter as I was thinking about my project.  The colors of the spools were pale pink and peach.  I thought the colors looked beautiful together.






Unfortunately for me, because of the snow on the ground and my last minute decision to do this project, I was unable to make it to the flower market.  I went to Wholefoods instead since it is in the next town over from me.

Because of that limitation I had to go with the flowers available so, it didn't turn out exactly as I had envisioned.  I did get the pale pink color in way of the hyacinths I purchased and the peach in the carnations but the roses were a bit brighter and deeper than I was thinking.  Since I have been staring at the arrangements I made for the last 24 hours, the colors have grown on me a bit.



My original goal in all of this was to come up with a bouquet that would be nice for Valentine's Day and would be different from the traditional red long-stemmed rose bouquet.  I thought it would be nice to come up with an arrangement that wouldn't compete with tradition but at the same time might be fun to give to a friend, a parent, a co-worker, someone who means a lot to you and who, perhaps, may not be receiving a traditional Valentine bouquet.




So, I made this arrangement in a stemmed vase for a little bit of dramatic affect..  The bouquet is not overly large but, hopefully, substantial enough to bring some joy to its recipient.








I actually love making these small arrangements.  I think they are so pretty and can be placed anywhere in a room to add some color and fun.  I think they lift spirits too, not a bad thing in the middle of winter.


 Unfortunately, when I photographed the arrangements, the peach carnations turned out looking more on the yellow side.  No matter what I did during the photographing or the editing after, the result was the same.  You'll just have to take my word for it.  The carnations are more peach than they show in the photos.



Anyway, the aroma of hyacinths are filling my kitchen, a nice side effect to the whole project~


 I was thinking of giving these bouquets to some of my friends but, to be honest, the Wholefoods flowers have not been performing all that well.  The hyacinths are holding on strong, as well as the carnations but, the roses leave something to be desired.  Plus, it has been so cold I am afraid to expose the flowers to the frigid temperatures outside even for the short distance from my car to their new homes.



It looks like the flowers will be remaining sitting on my kitchen counter this time around.
I do like the idea of making some non-traditional Valentine arrangements to give away as gifts, however.  Next time, I'll plan well and go to the flower market--that makes much more sense!


Tomorrow is the first day of February.  Time to think about Valentine's Day!

Sharing at these Link Parties:
Create, Bake, Grow & GatherShare Your Style
Feathered Nest Friday ~  


4 comments:

  1. Hi Christine! I love all the flower arrangements you have made... so pretty!!! I pinned a bunch of your photos for you and our readers. <3 Thank you for sharing them with us at Share Your Style #194 this past week ~ such a treat.

    I'm sorry that your weather has been crazy cold ~ hopefully it has warmed up by now and maybe those little bouquets can make their way to your friends' homes afterall.

    Happy hugs to you,
    Barb :)
    www.frenchethereal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Barbara 😊. It has warmed up just not in time for the flowers but I’m sure I’ll be making more arrangements for sharing soon :). Take care and thank you again~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! It sounds like you're experiencing the kind of awful endless winter that we've got too. Thanks for sharing with us at the To Grandma's house we go link party, see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! It has been an annoying winter. We are back to having snow on the ground :(. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete