Flowers for an April Wedding: Part One



As some of you may know, aside from writing this blog I also do freelance floral design and event planning.  I own a company called Mitchell & Company Designs and Events and work out of a studio or she shed (if you prefer) that my husband built for me.  Wasn't that nice of him?



And, I have a fairly new website with a new logo thanks to some cool and talented people on Etsy.  If you would like to check out my business website, you are welcome to here

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of doing the flowers for the wedding of Katie and Andrew, a very sweet couple, and today I thought I would share some of that experience with you.

  The wedding took place at the Ocean Edge Resort in Brewster, Massachusetts which is about 2 1/2 hours away from my studio in Groton but, not far from where I grew up on Cape Cod.


Katie and her mom, Janet, contacted me about a year or so ago to ask me if I would be willing to do the flowers for Katie's wedding.  I, of course, said, "Yes!"  It was an honor for me and I always love going to the Cape, especially for a wedding!  Janet had been a guest at one of  "my" weddings in the past and I guess had ever since wanted me to do the flowers for her daughter's wedding when the time came.  Well, the time had come and as I said, I was thrilled to help out!


On our very first meeting, Katie told me she loved ranunculus flower and that she also wanted to incorporate rice flower into the bouquets.  She seemed to be a bride who really knew what she wanted and, as it turned out, she did...which was great!

This was the color palette for the wedding.  Her dress was white. The girls were going to wear different dresses of various shades of pink and mauve.  The guys suits would be navy blue and the tablecloths were light pink.


I would be doing bouquets, boutonnieres and corsages for the wedding party but since the wedding would be taking place during the season of Lent, no flowers would be allowed in the church.  Therefore, no arrangements would be needed in that area from me.  However, Katie did have a plan for the reception area which I will tell you about later in my next post.

I am sharing my story of Katie and Andrew's wedding with you in two posts.  I hope you don't mind.  It seems like a lot of material to share in one so this post will simply feature the boutonnieres and corsages. These are usually the first items I create in the wedding process so it made sense to me to begin with them :).


As I mentioned, Katie loved ranunculus and rice flower so that was what we decided I would use to make the groomsmen boutonnieres.



The groom's boutonniere was made with a white ranunculus but, somehow I forgot to take a photo of his boutonniere.  I will have to wait to show it to you until Katie sends me some of the professional photos from the wedding when she receives them.




The delicate nature of the ranunculus really is lovely for a boutonniere.  The pedals almost look paper-like and I think Katie made a good choice in choosing the rice flower as an accent.






This was the grandmother corsage ↓.  I usually make the grandmother corsages and mother nosegays in white unless I am instructed to use other colors.  I find white to be the safest option.  You never know if a mom is going to change her dress choice at the last minute.  That happens quite often actually :).

This corsage was made with white spray roses, white wax flower, white ranunculus, and white Lenten rose, which I found last minute at the flower market and I loved and had to use somewhere!


The only other flower article I would like to share with you today is the nosegay for the Mother of the Bride.  Again, I am sorry for the lack of great photos. It is always rush, rush at the end to get the bouquets where they need to go and in a beautiful and fresh state.  I often forget to take photos in the stress of these last moments.


The flowers in this bouquet and the bouquet of the Mother of the Groom included the same flowers as the grandmother corsage but with silver dollar eucalyptus added in.  I truly enjoy making  nosegays for the moms.  They are delicate and simple in nature but elegant at the same time.



In the next installment of this post I will share the bride and bridesmaid bouquets along with the flowers from the reception.  I hope you will stay tuned~


Joining at these link parties:
Homestyle Gathering
To Grandma's House We Go!
The Style Showcase
Inspiration Monday
Create, Bake, Grow & Gather
SIlver Pennies Sundays
Dare to Share

1 comment: