Making a Hoop Wreath

Hi, all!  How is it going?  Are you enjoying spring so far?  I definitely am.  With the warmer weather and the promise of bright, beautiful colors coming along with the onslaught of spring, I thought I would try my hand at a couple of hoop wreaths to put on the double front doors of the entry to my house.




I went to JoAnn Fabrics and collected the supplies I needed.  Here they are ↓.  I found a few floral picks in the Bloom room Artisan series of the store.  The picks were already somewhat arranged just the way I envisioned them going on the hoop and they were half price! It was a no-brainer~


Along with the Bloom room Artisan series I also grabbed a silk floral bush of pink peonies.  I planned on separating the blossoms and using them on the hoops individually, as well.


I also purchased a package of covered wire.  I'm not sure what the covering is but, it was a life-saver to my fingertips.  I am forever pricking my fingers with the regular paddle wire.  This wire was such a nice change from that agony.


I started with the succulant pick because it had the thickest stem.  I wanted to secure that first and then add the other picks around it or on top of it. It would have been harder to do it the other way around.


Here you can see the covered wire.  It was pretty easy to secure the stem with this wire.  Well worth getting even if I already had tons of the paddle wire left over from other projects :).

I decided that the dusty miller pick needed to be separated in order to be used on the hoop wreath.  I thought it was too full and would overpower the whole look.


It is easy to separate the leaves if you gently tug at the lower wire of each leaf.


Here, I have slowly added some of the picks to the hoop.



This is how the back of the wreath looks.  You can see the covered wire is steadily holding the stems in place.


I think at this point I was in the moment of making the wreath and forgot to take more photos.


So sorry.  That seemed to happen to me a lot :/


In the end, this is how the wreath turned out.  I had every intention of making two wreaths.  I still might do that if, at some point, I find the time to finish the entire project.  I have had many interruptions lately. I did lose my enthusiasm for the project when I placed the one wreath on my front door to see how it would look, however.  I didn't like how it looked on the door.  It seemed to get lost in the glass of the door.  (I thought I had taken a picture of this....but I didn't!  Again, lost in the moment I guess.)

I think if I do make the second wreath I will put them both on the doors of my shed.  I think they might look better there.


For the short term, I kind of like the wreath hung to the side of the doors of my front entry.  I think the cream background makes the flowers pop.  What do you think?


I decided to use the sprays I had made last year for the shed on the front doors of the house instead this year.  If you'd like to see the shed post from last year, you can see it here.


I am keeping the front step simple for the moment.  As more flowers and plants become available at the local garden centers I will probably add a few more touches here and there.


I do have a hanging basket, though. So, I am getting there!

#gettingthere


***No compensation has been given for this post.

Sharing at these link parties:
Dare to Share Saturday
Feathered Nest Friday
Create, Bake, Grow & Gather

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment