Adding Touches of Spring to My Home

Hey, Everybody!  How is it going in your world?  Mine is going well but, I have to admit it hasn't felt like spring for me here in Massachusetts until this week.  For some 40+ days in April and May we were subjected to rain and/or cold weather.  However, this week has brought a number of beautiful sunny and warm days in a row and what a difference that makes!  It finally feels like spring!




During those rainy days I slowly started adding some springtime touches around the house.  I thought I would share them with you before it got to be too late to do so :).


One of the areas of my house that I like to change up as the seasons rotate is the large shelf on my kitchen wall.  My husband built it for me many, many years ago.  It honestly doesn't go with the style of my house (I had him make it for me during my Country phase) but, it's a large piece and is fun to decorate.  I always hope that the fact that it is painted white makes it look a bit more contemporary~


Right now, I am calling the shelves my "Brittany Shelves" because pretty much everything I have placed on them my daughter, Brittany, has given me.  The little collection above are things she placed in an Easter basket for me. The colors matched the season so well that I used them here. 

The spool of baker's twine and even the birdy clothespin were also given to me by Brittany.


Brittany painted this spring inspired painting, as well~  So sorry to gush.  I will move on.  Suffice to say the shelves are aptly named at the moment :).


After doing the shelves I started going around the house exchanging winter decorations for spring ones.

I added a bird's nest here...




A memento from a trip to Nantucket there... 




And so on...



I purchased a spring garland from Michael's and weaved it around the candlestick holders that adorned my newly painted buffet.


  The garland was fun and added some needed color~

 

The painted hutch in the family room also got a make-over.  To be honest I did this for St. Patrick's Day but, it still seems to work for spring so I left it as-is.




Besides, I love displaying some of my china tea cup collection.









Back in the living room I needed to include more color after months of winter whites.  I found this eucalyptus wreath at Homegoods.  It wasn't large enough to fill up the space on the chimney wall so, I layered two wreaths on top of each other.  I added the silk flowers to give a splash of color.  I am toying with the idea of adding a bow.  What do you think?  Does it need one?



And of course, I always want to have something going on when it comes to the dining table.  I tried to use what I already owned and came up with an unusual tablescape for spring but, I really like it, surprisingly.


Everything started with these plates that my daughter, Amanda, gave me a number of years ago. (Boy am I lucky to have such wonderful kids!)  The plates are from Pottery Barn and I love them!  They are supposed to be spring plates.  That was the season that she gave them to me, I believe, but I have used them in the fall and they have worked very well in that season also, very versatile.  

The twist in all of this was the copper.  Normally I would only use these chargers and mugs in the fall and maybe winter but, for some reason I really liked the look.  And, I already owned these items.  An added plus!


I did buy a gathering basket from Hobby Lobby and filled it with an assortment of silk flowers.  I wish I had had some fresh flowers to fill it with but, these flowers will last all spring long.  No need to refresh them.



To mask the ugly stems of the silk flowers I covered them with napkins and ribbon.  I really like how the ribbons flow here :).





I may have gone overboard with the silk flower thing but they do add color all over the room, which I like.







Well, now that the weather seems to have officially turned I will be moving outside to work on my garden.  I've already done a little gardening but, with Memorial Day just around the corner it is time to step up the pace!

Enjoy!!!


***No compensation has been given for this post.  Just sharing purchasing information for your convenience.



Joining these link parties:
To Grandma's House we go!
Thursday Favorite Things
Handmade and Otherwise


























2 comments:

  1. Beautiful touches of Spring. I've got my fingers crossed you and me both get a break from all the rains and cooler temps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Christine. Things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete