Making a Front Entry Summer Ready



Hi, Everyone!  Summer has officially started and with that I am now realizing that my spring planters on the front porch are beginning to look a bit bedraggled.  They looked pretty good a few weeks ago ↓ but, what often happens with pansies is now happening with my pansies.  They are getting "leggy" and limp looking.



As you can see by the photo below.  So, before things got terribly out of hand, I decided a change was in order.


The first thing to do was to remove the pansies from the planters.  I also removed some of the extra branches that were in there, as well.  Some of the curly willow branches I placed in these containers in the fall decided to root over the winter and I haven't had the heart to rip them out of their comfy new environment.  Also, trying to decide what other kind of anchor plant or shrub to use in the containers was becoming a challenge.  So, the curly willow is here to stay for a little while longer.



The curly willow on the opposite side of the front door isn't as healthy but the branches still add height to the arrangement so they are staying also.


On my trip to the nursery I was able to pick up two different varieties of coleus and two varieties of impatiens. I started with the pinkish coleus and planted six in a ring around the curly willow. 


In between the pinkish coleus I placed six "black" coleus.  At this point they are flopping around a bit but they will adjust in time.


Next, I placed three New Guinea impatiens in the planter, two on opposite sides and one in the back.


I finished everything off with six pink impatiens around the outer circumference of the pot and a trailing vinca I was able to dig up from my back garden.  The vinca will take a while to start trailing over the sides but by the end of the summer it should be full and flowing.  It is pretty indestructible.


I am very rarely content with simply filling the two front planters and being done.  Since I had all of these pansies left over, I planted them in some new pots and placed them back on the front step.  I found this cute "Betsy" cow and staked it into the pansy container.


I have to say, I love the addition of my

the cow.


As you can see, she goes very well with my cow door mat, too :).


The perennials in the front garden are starting to take off, as well.  I love this point in the season when things are starting to truly flourish...with the exception of my David Austin Rose.  After the snowplow incident, it died a slow death and I have not been able to find a new bush at any of my local garden centers.  It is very upsetting but, that is a story for another day :).


I am happy with how the front step has turned out especially considering I had to use the last of what was available at the nursery.  Everyone is a gardener these day, which is great, but I kind of had to close my eyes and just grab whatever was left, hoping it would work out.  


So far, I love the colors together and the fact that I still have some blue pansies around to add that touch of blue that I like is all good!


I like that the planters are neat and clean but still add lots of color and will fill in more fully as the summer moves on.



When fall comes around it might be time for another change but, I am happy with this one for now :).





Joining these Link Parties:
Create Bake Grow Gather PartySilver Pennies SundaysLove Your Creativity

2 comments:

  1. Your coleus and pink impatiens look good coordinating with your rug ~ LOVE your cow rug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for much! I love my rug too!! Happy Belated 4th :).

    ReplyDelete