Styling an Old Cupboard for Christmas and Other Rustic Decorations

 Hi all!  I am continuing on the journey to my new house.  We close in less than a week!  However, we are still in transition and staying at our little place on Cape Cod for a few more days.  As I mentioned in my last post, which you can see here if you would like to see what has been happening in my life the last few months, I did do a tiny bit of Christmas decorating to make the house feel festive!  I am here to share that small attempt.  I hope you enjoy it 🎄

I started with a built-in cupboard that I thought was just screaming for some Christmas Cheer!

Eventually, I would like to make this a beverage station for when we are here in the summer.  It has been an unused area or catch all for a very long time.  Until then, I thought I would decorate the space with stuff I bought from Hobby Lobby.

This camper lights up with blinking lights.  I didn't know that when I bought it.  It is a bit crazy, and I don't always turn it on but, isn't it cute?!  The snowman is an ornament I purchased in a three-pack.

I added candy canes in the glasses for color.  The glasses by themselves were too bland.

I think I may have gotten the gingerbread towel at Homegoods but, I am not sure.

More candy canes and a Merry Christmas candy cane sign~

The candy cane tree lights up also.  You can't really see that in this photo, but I do like the vintage feel of the display.  

The cupboard is to the right of this photo below.  As you can see, the kitchen is very old-fashioned.  I have been wanting to start all over with it and redecorate but, we never really get anything done on the Cape. We are always enjoying the awesome environment down here and going to the beach.  Haha!


I did manage to find a lantern to put in the middle of the table.  I actually love it a dinner time.  There is a real candle in it with real flame.  


One thing we did do last summer was paint the kitchen cabinets.  We did it on a whim.  I should say my husband painted them. The colors aren't perfect, but you would not believe the improvement!  There was no loss in experimenting and I like how they came out.




I added a few Christmas accents here and there.



I hung a faux garland over the kitchen sink to add just enough Christmas accent.

And a fun Christmas rug below.  I love this stuff!


When the movers came and started loading up the trucks with our stuff, I grabbed a box of ornaments for the fake tree we had always put in the family room.  Tom grabbed the box with the fake tree in it so we would have something in the way of decorations for the season.  Some of you may recognize the ornaments and the tree from past years. I have shared it several times. It has been awesome having a tree to celebrate the season, even if it is only for a few weeks.



This room has definitely been decorated more on the traditionally rustic side.  Differently from the kitchen.  I always seem to experiment with different styles even in this small space, I guess.  I think I need to work on that....maybe next year :).

Brittany had an extra Nativity set that she allowed me to borrow, which was very sweet of her. What is Christmas without the Nativity?

It has been very weird not being able to access my own Christmas treasures but, thankfully, with help from family and local stores, I have managed to get by.


Finally, I added greens and purchased wreaths and boxes to the outside of the house.



So fun!  This house is funny.  I can decorate it in the summer with red, white and blue patriotic decorations and it is just as comfortable with Christmas red, too!


If I did this correctly, you should be able to see a little video of the Christmas tree and mantle.  This is a new try for me :).  I hope it works!


I honestly do not know when or what I will post next but, before too long I hope to tell you about my next house and town.

Happy Christmas Season!!!

Joining these Link Parties:


****Please note: I have not been compensated for writing this post in any way.

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment