Finding Space to Make a Winter Floral Arrangement

Hi there!  Welcome!  As many of you may know I have been in the process of selling a house and moving into a new house for the last five to six months. Nothing prepared me for the amount of work this whole process would take.  I am still buying new furniture and deciding where this or that decoration will go in our new home and please don't get me going on picture placement on walls!  All of this is to say, I do not have photos of the inside of my house to show you yet.  I am just not ready.  However, I did manage to get out of the house to buy some flowers yesterday and am here to show you the results today and to tell you the struggle I am having in finding a workspace in this new house.

Here it is.  It is much different than the contemporary I lived in for nearly 35 years in Groton, Ma.  I have had to put my thinking cap on when it comes to decor.  I hope to be sharing the results soon!


Anyway, I ran out yesterday to the local Shaw's grocery store because I had been having a real craving to do some flower arranging.  I have not done much of it in the past several months and really have missed it.

Of course, the flower choices at a grocery store are limited but, in the end, I felt very satisfied with 
what I purchased.


I bought four bunches of flowers.  I got white hydrangeas, white mums, white lilies and peach colored hypericum berries.  I went out in my new yard and picked some evergreen stems to use, as well.  I am soooo happy that I have some bushes to pick from at the new place, a real bonus for a floral designer.


Now, the issue I have with my new home is that there really is not a spot for me to create floral designs or any kind of designs for that matter.  In my old home I had the kitchen, the basement and my wonderful she shed.  I miss those spaces terribly.  Tom, my husband, and I are going to have to figure out if we will need to build another shed for me or if I can carve out a spot in the basement.  I am not thrilled with that idea because there are no windows and I need light to be inspired!  I guess we will see~

.

While I certainly have a kitchen here, it has a wood floor and a wood island countertop.  Not the best for messy floral designing.  I do, however, have a granite countertop on one side of the kitchen and that is where I carefully made the flower arrangements yesterday.

This is how the first arrangement came out.  I was really glad that I had decided to break up the white with the peach hypericum berries. Originally, I was going to make the arrangement all white with some evergreens mixed in.  I am so glad I changed my mind. I think the peach really makes a huge difference. 

One of the cool things about floral arranging is the uniqueness that comes from nature.  Every arrangement is different because every element can vary and have its own individuality.  After I made the arrangement, I noticed this one lone empty branch falling alongside the white container.  For some reason I loved this look.  It screamed "winter arrangement" to me, which is what I was going for.  


After checking out a few locations in the house this arrangement ended up on the kitchen table.  This breakfast area of the kitchen is one that I am wrestling to get finished and decorated.  That story is for another time.  Suffice to say I have a damaged Pottery Barn table that I am waiting for the company to replace (damaged in delivery) along with a set of chairs, also from Pottery Barn, in order to make the space complete.  We are using fold-up chairs at the moment along with the two-seated bench you see here to offer as seating.  It is working for Tom and me but, I am looking forward to getting it all done soon.


The breakfast area is a nice nook with many windows, and we have a beautiful backyard where we have seen a family of deer from time to time.  I am not bragging about that because I know these creatures will be my nemesis come springtime, but they are certainly beautiful now :).





Happily, I had enough flowers left over from the bunches I bought that I was able to make another much smaller arrangement. 


I used a vase that I got from my mom's house last year.  I am not sure if it is an antique or not but, it definitely feels more substantial than ones I purchase these days and I love the color.


I do know I should not have pine needles in the water, they can cause bacteria, but it was nearly impossible pulling all the needles off and I got lazy since the arrangement was just for me 😄.


The lilies are opening slowly and making the arrangement even more pretty each day!




So, between the arrangement I have on the kitchen table and the one on the kitchen counter, we have quite an array of flowers to enjoy, something we will need to do since the weathermen are forecasting subzero temps tomorrow and over the weekend.  Not looking forward to that!




I hope you will stay safe and warm this weekend and have something in your house to enjoy, as well.



HAPPY FEBRUARY!!!

We Were Featured!

Sharing at these Link Parties:

2 comments:

  1. Just lovely arrangements for winter, and they can be translated to early spring, too! I'll be featuring your post at Tuesday Turn About this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Julie! I am very excited! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete