Springtime Mini Terrariums Revisited

 Hi! It is February vacation here in Massachusetts this week and although I do not have children at home anymore, I do have grandchildren who live close by.  Yay!  I love having them close by. However, vacation week affects me a little too.  The routine of life changes somewhat even for me.  Having said all that, I happened to visit a Dollar Tree store yesterday.  I am hunting for a good Dollar Tree in the new area I moved into last year.  While I was there, I was reminded of a post I did many years ago, 7 to be exact.  I was going to re-enact that post but, decided I would update the original one and share it with you all again.  

I started with these ↑ ingredients.  The glass, pebbles and moss came from the Dollar Tree.  The hyacinths and daffodils came from Trader Joe's. I haven't checked Trader Joe's to see if they are stocking these spring bulbs yet but, I will try to give you an update soon. These beauties were the inspiration for me to design my springtime mini terrariums.


I started by slightly filling the bottom of the wine (?) glasses with the blue pebbles.   The robin egg blue pebbles invoke the idea of spring, don't you think?


 Next, I added a layer of Spanish moss.  The moss is supposed to keep the potting soil from sifting into the pebbles.  You can also add activated charcoal between the pebbles and the moss, if you would like.  The charcoal is supposed to keep the soil fresh and helps ward off germs and odors.  Since I didn't expect the daffodils to last very long, I decided to skip that step.  If I were making a larger, more traditional terrarium, I might have tried harder to find the activated charcoal.


Next came the potting soil.  A regular old kitchen spoon works very well for this step.  Regular potting soil works fine, also.


I took the daffodil and hyacinth bulbs out of the pots and gently placed them into the glass containers and added more soil around the base of the flower bulb.


Here ↑, you can see the layers of the terrarium: the pebbles, moss and then soil.


The finishing touch was tying green and blue ribbons around the top of the glasses.  As is usually the case with me, I thought the terrariums needed something "more" to finish off the look.  For a different kind of look, you could use wider ribbon here or maybe even stencil the glasses before starting.  Maybe I should have re-enacted this post.  I think it might have been fun to re-invent this look.  Maybe I will.  We'll see!
❀❀❀
Seven years ago, I was following the blog, Finding Silver Pennies.  I still do but, Danielle has changed her website and focus slightly.  The prints on the wall were some of her free printables back then.  I am not sure if they are still available but, you can go to her website here if you would like to check it out.


I have taken liberty with the word terrarium because traditional terrariums usually have the plants inside their containers, whereas the plants in my terrariums are on top.  Traditional terrariums can even have a glass cover.  Mine are an edited version of the pure form.  Nonetheless, I think they would make great hostess gifts for Easter or even Mother's Day...just 
a thought :).

Joining these Link Parties:

4 comments:

  1. Such a FUN idea for SPRING!
    I’d love for you to join us over at the Creatively Crafty Linky Party every Wednesday through Sunday
    https://creativelybeth.com/creative-crafts-linky-party/
    Followed and Pinned!
    Creatively, Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth for the invitation. I will check it out!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful and so pretty and even I think I will be able to do it and use at home. It's small enough for me to add to our living room area
    I visited you via TEAM CREATIVE CRAFTS LINK PARTY #186
    My links: 74+75. We will be so happy if you share your blog links with us at SeniorSalonPitStop. Link under BLOGGING

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just amazing what you can do with a few simple supplies, Christine!
    We will be featuring you starting Wednesday at the Creatively Crafty Linky Party! Pinned and shared!
    Creatively, Beth

    ReplyDelete