Patchwork Pumpkin Patch Cake

Happy October!  It's finally feeling like fall here in Massachusetts.  With the change of weather I am finally moving forward into autumn~~emotionally and in every other way.  The heat is actually starting to come on in my house.  If that isn't a sure sign of fall, I don't know what is!
 Today, I am changing it up from what I usually do and sharing some baking.  To be honest, baking is not my forte and I really should leave it to professional baking bloggers but, since the cake is all done and turned out kind of cute, I thought I would share it with you anyway :).


The inspiration for my whole baking experiment came from this container of Halloween sprinkles I found in my cupboard.  They were cute and definitely "fallish".  Ideas started brewing in my head.

My thoughts crystallized into making a patchwork quilt cake and using these sprinkles to create the quilt pattern for the cake.  I found a cake mix in the cupboard and off I went ->->

Full disclosure:  I would rather have used a chocolate cake mix but red velvet was all I could find in my cupboard.  So, red velvet it was!  More disclosure:  I added chocolate chips to the cake batter because my husband loves dark chocolate sooooo much and I thought, "What could it hurt?"

After baking the cake and letting it cool, I made some basic frosting.  My goal was to get the color of the frosting as orange as possible.  This peach color was the best I could do :/  (I told you I should leave the baking to the professionals.) Thankfully, the sprinkles would cover most of the frosting anyway.

Next, I started to construct the quilt part of the cake.  I used popsicle sticks to outline the grid for the patchwork pattern.  I tried to make the squares as equal as possible by using a measuring tape.



Since I didn't feel the cake looked as pretty as it could with just the patchwork, I started wondering what else I could do to improve it.  With the help of Kellogg's Frosted Mini Wheats and some candy pumpkins, I decided to use the patchwork quilt as a background for a candy pumpkin patch.  

I used the Mini Wheats to make the "hay bales" and the candy pumpkins to create the "patch".  So much fun!  It was easy too.

I used a cracker to make the pumpkin patch sign.  Since I used a regular marker to write the lettering on the cracker, it is not edible.  I'll have to be sure no one tries to eat it!  As I continued to look at the cake at this point, I still wasn't content.  It was still missing something.

 I decided to use the popsicle sticks to make a faux fence to separate the square patches and finally I

was happy with the result.





In the end, I was pleased with the look of the cake.  I still should have left this kind of work to the

professionals but, I was happy enough :). 


Any hoo, I'm sure the cake will be tested and tasted today, at some point.  Cake doesn't last long in our house :).  I'll let you know how the chocolate chips in the red velvet cake mix turned out!

Happy Fall, All!

Hey, look where we were featured!


Sharing at these Link Parties:
Snickerdoodle Create Bake Make

3 comments:

  1. This is so cute! What a great idea for a fall dessert. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know why investing in PVC patches is a great idea for your sports team or school club: they are affordable, they are durable, they are simple to attach and they don't get ruined in the water. But what may be more important, the right PVC patches will give your team a true sense of identity! go now



    ReplyDelete