A Quick and Easy Easter Egg Craft

Hey, there!  I seem to have an obsession with Easter eggs.  Not so much Easter egg hunting, just loving pretty Easter eggs, in general. Over the years, I have created a few different kinds of Easter eggs.  One year I crafted some Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs . Another year I made some decoupaged ones.  This year I decided to use some Washi tape I had had for a while and never knew what to do with.  On a whim and somewhat inspired by an old Martha Stewart Magazine cover I thought I would try covering plastic eggs with some of the tape.

The whole process turned out to be extremely easy, something you could mindlessly do in front of the TV.  It was actually kind of soothing in a way :).

I simply started at the top of the egg and carried the tape down the side of the egg to the bottom and met it again at the top.  I, then, cut the tape and started over again.


I made another swath around the egg dividing it into four sections.  I cut the tape again.


Next, I went lengthwise around the egg covering up the plastic sections with the tape.  Because of the curvature of the egg, the tape does not sit perfectly well.  There will be some bumps and pleats as you fill in the egg.  Sometimes I started the tape in the fat part of the egg so as not to make the tops and bottoms of the eggs too bulky with the cut ends. 




Here is the finished product.  


I have a few tips I learned along the way~

I am not sure if my Washi Tape was old and, perhaps, this was why I had a problem or if that is just the nature of Washi Tape (I did not have any experience with this tape before doing this craft) but, I found that the tape did not stick to itself very well.  I ended up gluing some of the tape ends with hot glue.


Also, the thinner tape was easier to use and I liked the finished product better than the ones that used wider tape.


I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.


One of the tapes did not stick well at all so, I added some extra embellishments and did not use that tape again.

I liked how it turned out, however.  I thought it looked like one of those Faberge Eggs :).




Although I really enjoyed my little craft, I must say that I liked how the other egg experiments turned out better.


My all-time favorite was these torn tissue paper decoupage eggs.  I thought I had done a tutorial on them but, it looks as though I didn't.  I especially liked the glitter on them.


I loved these  Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs too but, they were a lot of work. The Washi Tape ones are much more beginner friendly~


I am happy to say my Washi Eggs ended up finding a nice place in my home and I have been enjoying looking at them even if they are not my favorite.




Happy Crafting!!!


Joining these Link Parties:

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment