Creating a Spring Antler Wreath


The sun is shining brighter and once in a while we even get a warmish kind of day so, it is time to move on from Christmas and Valentine red and winter white and move onto lovely spring colors.  I just came to this realization a few days ago and I am so very happy for the transition! 

One of the areas in my home I needed to address was the hearth.  I had been hanging this antler/wreath combo since the Christmas season.  It had gone from this ↓ to...


 this ↓...


And then to this ↓ over the past few months. 

 I had planned on taking the antlers down because I thought it was time considering the upcoming spring season. [ By the way, I thought I should explain the antlers.  Neither my husband nor I hunt.  These antlers came with my husband when we got married many decades ago.  His dad had been a hunter probably in the 1940's or 50's and had given this "prize" to my husband many years ago. My husband thought they were cool.  I hated them and hid them...until a few years ago when deer started ravaging my yard every winter and the mountain look started coming into vogue.  I softened and figured there was no harm in using them now since so much time had passed. ] 


Anyway, I planned on replacing the wreath until I remembered drawings I had seen on Pinterest that included flowers and antlers incorporated into wreaths.  I also remembered I had seen some really cute invitations using this idea so, I returned to Pinterest and searched for shower invites with flowers and antlers.  All sorts of ideas turned up.  I especially liked this one ↓ and used it for inspiration.


I set out to buy silk flowers at Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics.  At both places I was somewhat disappointed with the selection.  I grabbed the pink and darker pink flowers and some greens at JoAnn Fabrics and headed to Dollar Tree next door to try and find some turquoise flowers like in the drawing.  No turquoise but I did find another color blue that I liked.



I fiddled around with the flowers and jabbed them into the wreath encircling the antlers to try to make it look something like the drawing on the invitation.  Of course, it was not going to be the same since the colors and flowers are not exact but, I did my best.  It took a lot of fiddling mostly because I didn't want to take the whole contraption down.  It had been hard enough to hang in the first place!


I finally got the antler part of the wreath to where I was happy with it and then, in only Christine-style, I decided the whole look needed "something more".  I added this little touch to the the wreath itself.


This was the final product ↓.  In truth, I had to go through my supplies to find the little white flowers that I added at the last minute.  The look of the larger flowers needed to be broken up a bit with some smaller flower accents.












This wreath is just the beginning of adding color to my home for the upcoming season.  It is my starting point. To be honest, however, I am wrestling with the idea of changing much of my décor to a more contemporary look to go along better with the style and roots of my contemporary home.  In fact, when I was done with this antler wreath I wasn't sure I liked it at all but, it has been growing on me.  I might wait for this contemporary conversion a little bit longer.  We'll see.

Right now, this is how the stage is set.  It definitely needs more attention but, that is where the fun begins...discovering that "needs more" quotient.




Are you adding color to your home right now?  I would love to hear about it :).





***No compensation has been given for writing this post.

Joining these Link Parties:

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment