Styling Winter Shelves

Hey there!  How's it going?  I am in the house sitting through yet another snowstorm.  This one is supposed to be easy-peasy but, we will end up with 6-8 inches when all is said and done, I think.  The weatherman said 2-4. They haven't gotten this one right!

Since I have time, I thought I would share with you what I am doing post-Christmas in my home.  It is time to simplify and clear out after the opulence of Christmas, at least that is how I feel anyway.  To that end, I am simplifying the decorations on this Ikea glass-shelved unit I have owned for many years. I was shocked that it made it through our move last year considering how rough our movers were.  They were brutal! As a result, my husband did have to repaint the unit because it got all banged up but, it looks good enough to use in the kitchen until I find something to replace it.  Not sure that is going to happen soon since I have so many other things I want to purchase before that! 

For these winter months I am going with neutral colors, as I usually do this time of year. I need a color cleansing after Christmas it seems, even though I love the reds, greens, silvers and gold of Christmas very, very much.  However, January is time to chill, pardon the pun :).

Because the weather has been iffy, and I haven't gone out very much I have used what I had around the house to fill up the spaces.  So, working from the top down, here we go~

I kept the painting from before Christmas as an anchor for the top because I like it so much.  I added white and distressed blue/green pottery/ceramics as side elements.  



Going downward I mixed beige and white here.  The basket has a sparkle to it which I loved.  We still need a little sparkle in a limited amount I have found to bridge that gap between December and January.  I like using the plate rack to keep everything in place, tidy and displayed nicely.


As you can see, simplicity is the theme.  I truly like the sparse look in January, as I said, as a cleansing of sorts.

The next two shelves are a mixture of white and wooden, carrying on the beige and white theme only in a slightly different way.  I like mixing the rustic wood with the sleekness of the ceramic.


I don't make enough cookies (pretty much none) to fill up the cookie jar, so I improvised with these wood slices to carry on the theme.  The wine rack offsets all the white, I feel.


Again, I used a plate rack to hold the round white plates in an orderly fashion.



I have neglected to highlight the bottom shelf mainly because it houses our Bose music center.  We haven't found a better place to put it, so it remains here, unfortunately :/.  I did place some wooden boxes next to it to balance off the whole look of the shelving unit.  The wooden boxes are a good place for some needed storage, as well.


Mixed in as filler is the white vase, white water pitcher and the white condiments holder.


So, as the "tour' of the shelves ends, it occurs to me that these shelves only serve the purpose of display, not function, except for the usefulness of the Bose system, which I don't really love.  Haha.  Perhaps, I should think about purchasing something new that actually will serve as a storage place for all my stuff.  And, I am embarrassed to say, I still have a lot of "stuff" even after the move. So embarrassing!


Anyway, my message to you today is, if you like changing up the decor of your house as the seasons change like I do, here is one way to do that.  Keep things simple and uncluttered as best you can, if you like that look.  Otherwise, do whatever you'd like! There is no judgement here :).

Sharing at these Link Parties:

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment