Thanksgiving Scavenger Hunt Take Two


Hi everyone!  I hope you are all well.  Last weekend I was supposed to have 4 of my grandchildren over for a sleepover.  Another grandson was going to join us just for the evening.  Circumstances changed and it worked out that we were simply having Finny, our three-year-old grandson, for the evening while his parents went out to dinner.

I was disappointed the other grandkids couldn't come, although I completely understood.  Illness was involved.  What can you do?  But I did have all sorts of activities planned for them and it would have been fun. 

One of the activities I had planned was a scavenger hunt.  I had blogged about this several years ago and called upon my memory to try this hunt again with another set of younger grandchildren.  It was so much fun, even though it was just Finny, my husband and myself, that I thought I would share the post one more time with you and include a few new insights. 


First off, you need a materials list:

Shopping or tote bags
Checklists
Pens or pencils
Kid snacks
A simple prize for all participating children

And if you are really industrious, a magnifying glass


First...the Checklist:

For research, go in your yard ahead of time and pick items that are somewhat readily available for the hunt.  Also, look for some things that might be a bit more challenging to find.  Kids are quick and the goal is to keep them entertained for a while.


I improved on the checklist a bit this time around but, for full disclosure, I still have not figured out how to make this a printable.  Supposedly, it is easy to do but, the process is still beyond me.  If any of you can direct me to an easy tutorial, I would very much appreciate it :).  For now, if you cannot copy and paste this guy, send me a message and I will send you the file.  This checklist was created on PicMonkey for those of you who are acquainted with the website.


Next...the Bags for collecting the treasures.  

These were the ones I made years ago.  I got lazy this time around a grabbed some bags from the Dollar Store and they worked out fine.


As well as the hunt itself, it is fun to offer the little ones something to eat while they are looking around the yard.  These "acorns" are a yummy snack and they are easy to make.  The recipe I had used years ago is no longer available but there are all sorts of recipes on Pinterest if you search for Hershey Kiss Acorn Treats.


I think they are so cute and, as I said, they are delicious too!  If you have a favorite cookie or brownie recipe, that will work as well.


So, now the kids are all set to go on their scavenger hunt with checklist, pencil, bag and snack in hand.  Some of them might need a helping hand from an adult, too.  My husband and I were in it the whole way with good  ol' Finny.  He was so, so, so much fun looking for every last item.





Of course, as I mentioned before, there should be a prize at the end of it all, especially from Gramma, right?


This truly is an easy activity to plan for.  All you need to do is get the bags, draw up a list and have a prize at the end.  It might just keep the little ones busy while the turkey is cooking or being carved.  I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving and if you do try a Thanksgiving Scavenger Hunt this year, please leave me a comment and let me know all about it.  I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!!


***Please note that I have not been compensated in any way for writing this post.

Sharing at these Link Parties:

Inspire Me MondayMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

Tuesday Turn About

Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment