Ways to Find Storage Places in a Small Cottage




Hey, guys!  How's it going? In my last post I explained that I had come home from a vacation on Cape Cod and shared some photos of my humble cottage there.  If you would like to see that post, you may see it here.  Today I thought I would share with you how I manage to find storage spots in a home that was built around the 1860's when closets and storage were not really paramount in the  minds of the people of that day. I thought some of you might have some storage challenges of your own and my discoveries might help you out!


So in order to combat the storage problem, I have taken to buying furniture with storage in mind.  I purchased this chest yet again from one of my favorite stores for decorating my cottage, the Christmas Tree Shop.  It replaced a very old hand-me-down piece of furniture that really held no use at all. This cabinet became the new spot to put the various kinds of towels we need for living at the cottage.  There are bath towels, kitchen towels and beach towels all stored in the cabinet.  It's been great having everything in one spot!


My husband and I also added some other new furniture to the place last year.  Originally it was to update the house a little bit but, the benefit came when some of the pieces also offered extra storage.  The blue stools open and now house the sheets for the massive king-size air mattress we bought this year for overnight guests.  I wasn't sure where I would put all of that stuff and these stools are great for that.  The bench with baskets to the left in the picture is also good for this.


Hooks are a big help in the house also.  These hooks in the back family room are a good place to hang beach bags and towels when we get home from the beach.  In the fall they are good for coats and jackets, too.




The hooks in the outdoor shower are a great place for hanging bath towels.   A shower is a necessary thing after going to the beach and an outdoor shower is the absolute best !!!


In the bathroom I have incorporated both of these ideas.  I have a chest of drawers to hold more towels and toiletries and I also added more hooks on which to dry towels.  The Cape is very humid much of  the summer and towels take extra time to dry.  Having many hooks available really helps with that whole process.


 

And, finally, if you know anything about Cape Cod, you know that almost every home has a storage shed somewhere on their property.  Some people even have two!!  They are great places to store gardening equipment, beach chairs, beach umbrellas and bicycles.  

The sales pitch that the shed store tells you when you are buying a new shed is that the only regret you'll have is that they didn't buy a bigger one.  I agree.  They were absolutely right.  We should have bought a bigger one.  There is always so much stuff to pack away!





I hope you are enjoying your summer!



***No compensation has been given for writing this post.

Sharing at these link parties:
Inspire Me Monday





Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment