Creating a Floral Sampling for a Wedding





Hi, everyone.  I have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to start this post.  On one hand, I am doing just as I usually do...publishing a post in the normal way.  But, these are not normal times and my life is being affected by this coronavirus just as, I am sure, is yours.  The affects of the crisis are hitting me slightly different than they may be you because before the crisis hit I was dealing with my elderly mom who is now in a nursing rehab facility.  My brother and I are faced with trying to plan the next move for Mom in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak, which has made difficult decisions more difficult.  All of this explains why I have been absent for a while from my blog.  However, in an effort to have some sort of normalcy, I thought I would blog about flowers today, my happy place, as it were :).  I hope you are able to find a happy place too, and that the saying, "this too shall pass", will be true for all of us very soon.




 Since my mother is in the nursing rehab facility and they are not allowing any visitors for the foreseeable future, I have found some time to start blogging again. Today I will be writing about creating a sampling of floral items for a wedding.


I have created these sample boards before.  In fact, I posted about one such board a couple of years ago and it seemed to be well received. You can view it here, if you would like. The flowers this time around are much different and the colors are more for a specific taste but, isn't that what experimentation is all about?  Plus, I like having the opportunity to work with different colors and to have the time to take decent photographs.  Weddings are always rush, rush and someone else has chosen the colors :).  Sometimes it is fun just to fiddle and take my time~



The collection of florals I decided to make was one that included:  the groom's boutonniere, two groomsmen bouts, a mother-of-the-bride wrist corsage and a flower girl nosegay.

Here ↓ are some of the tools and supplies I used to make my sampler.  I also used floral glue, which I will talk about later but, I must admit I forgot about when I took the pic.  I hope you get the idea, anyway~


The flowers I used included melon colored spray roses with a tint of green on the edges of the petals (I feel the photos make them look more yellow than melon :/), blue sea holly, dusty miller and miscellaneous greenery including Italian ruscus.


I started my work with the groom's boutonniere.  I used two of the spray roses and two of the sea holly.  I mixed in some greenery and dusty miller where I thought it looked best and tied the stems with a pale blue ribbon.


Next, I worked on the groomsmen boutonnieres.  Since I had two other larger pieces left to create, I decided to preserve the roses and only use blossoms of sea holly to make these bouts.  I used the pale blue ribbon again to wrap the stems.



The next item to be made was the flower girl nosegay.  I have to say, this piece was the most fun to make.  I feel the photos don't do it justice because I really thought it came out delicate and timeless.  I also felt it had a Victorian vibe.  This piece could be used as a mother's nosegay, too!

This bouquet was primarily roses and sea holly with a touch of Italian ruscus thrown in.


I wrapped the stems with a wider pale blue ribbon and tied it in a bow.  I also held the bow in place with a pearl pin.



The final item in my sampler was the mother-of-the-bride wrist corsage.  I chose to create this piece last because I was going to be using floral glue and it can get pretty messy.  I didn't want to have glue on my fingers as I worked on the other items.





So, there you have it...my floral wedding sampler...the groom's boutonniere, groomsmen bouts, a mother-of-the-bride wrist corsage and a flower girl nosegay.


I hope you enjoyed this little respite from the real world.  I enjoyed creating it :).

Let's all hope for a swift ending to the coronavirus crisis, that everyone will be safe and healthy and that we will be able to return to "normal" life as soon as possible.



Joining these link parties:
Silver Pennies SundaysLove Your CreativityCreate With Joy Inspire Me Monday,
Inspire Me MondayTuesday Turn AboutTFTcreate-bake-grow-gatherDare to Share
Beautifully Made




Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment